Author Topic: Greenwich Union Infirmary admission of Catherine Power in 1891  (Read 2038 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich Union Infirmary admission of Catherine Power in 1891
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Here is a previous thread which has Mill Lane reference - reply #13

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782934.msg6384284#msg6384284
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for help.
I have 3 references for Mill Lane being the address of Catherine (Powers) Connell
On 4/2/1878 the Greenwich Union workhouse records at the time of son jeremiah's birth show her as wife of Jeremiah Connell(a removeable with no address) but her address as 11 Mill Lane
On 31/3/1883 date of Dtr Catherine's birth her address is Mill Lane (no number)
On death in 1891 her address was 22 Mill Lane
This is probably enough to suggest that Deptford Greenwich was her "Settlement" District for workhouse purposes - she kept going back there.
Also although (husband) Jeremiah Connell spent a lot of time in Hackney workhouses and Infirmaries there is one reference to him in Greenwich Union Infirmary on 18th feb 1880.
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help
Am now trying to track down Catherine Power's earlier history
I think she must have had children with someone in Liverpool before getting together with Jeremiah O'Connell. In 1881 census in Kensington there are Thomas 13 and Mary 11 both born Liverpool with Jeremiah age 32 and Catherine O'Connell age 27. However I have Jeremiah's birth cert of 10/3/1854 so he was really 26/27 in 1881 and would have fathered Thomas at the age of 14 - unlikely I think.
So chances are Catherine came to relationship with Jeremiah with 2 children.
I've got certs for the only two Liverpool Powers births I can find Thomas 1867 Liverpool Mar Qtr 8B 128 and Mary Powers Liverpool 1869 Qtr Sept 8B 71 but their mother's names are not relevant - Mary Scully and Mary Ann Hanrahan. So I'm assuming they (not unreasonably) must have had their father's name when born/baptized.
I've looked without success for a Catherine Powers marriage between 1862 (she about 15) and 1868 (Thomas birth) so think I've reached a dead end perhaps because she didn't marry (again!) Unless I've missed something - can anyone can see a way of finding who the father could have been?
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones