Author Topic: Greenwich Union Infirmary admission of Catherine Power in 1891  (Read 2036 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich Union Infirmary admission of Catherine Power in 1891
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 January 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - thanks so much.
Have tracked back from "dead" 28/8/81 to admission to Vanburgh Hill Infirmary on 23 June 81.
Registered as Hawker, RC, born 1844 from St Paul parish. No observations unfortunately.

Catherine (O'Connell) was discharged from Islington Infirmary on 13th June so my speculation they may be the same person is still a possibility.
This theory stems from the fact that Jeremiah and Catherine O'Connell's son Jeremiah b. 20/2/1878 was born in Greenwich with mother formerly Power. I can find no evidence that Jeremiah and Catherine ever married which according to accounts wouldn't be unusual amongst hawkers in that era. Also Catherine Connell was admitted to Greenwich Infirmary on 4/2/1878 destitute and pregnant so birth on 20 Feb fits with mother formerly Power.
I'm still wondering why if she had been in Islington Infirmary one month before death she moved to Greenwich. Perhaps as that article says there wasn't much tolerance for one workhouse (eg Islington) to keep a pauper when that person's settlement was with another (eg Greenwich in this case).
Thanks for help

O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 January 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm still wondering why if she had been in Islington Infirmary one month before death she moved to Greenwich. Perhaps as that article says there wasn't much tolerance for one workhouse (eg Islington) to keep a pauper when that person's settlement was with another (eg Greenwich in this case).

You could see if there are any Outwards Removal Orders for Islington. Again, they probably won't be searchable on Ancestry.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 January 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Never neglect the Religious Creed Register!
If - as they often were - the creed register is arranged by first letters of surnames it will cut down the time finding the discharge if you have the admission. Or find the admission more quickly.
Also, they may contain extra info!
The Greenwich Union Infirmary Creed Register for that period gives names of nearest relatives.
Powers Catherine
age 47
date of admission 23 June 91
parish from which admitted S Paul
religious creed R.C.
name/address nearest known relatives Fa. E. Evans 22 Mill Lane (Bro: J O'Connell 82 Campbell Rd Finsbury Park)
date of discharge/death 29.8.91

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 January 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Living at 82 Campbell Road, Islington, in the 1891 census were -
Jeremiah O'Connell Head 39 Hawker
Catherine O'Connell wife 44
Jeremiah O'Connell Son 13
Catherine O'Connell Daur 8
Sarah O'Connell Daur 2

(piece 149 folio 99 page 6)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 January 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi jonw65
That's fantastic information not only does it give me the Infirmary dates but it gives me the first confirmation of the link of Catherine Powers with J O'Connell since the birth certificate of their son Jeremiah in 1878 where the mother was Catherine O'Connell formerly Powers.
Catherine seems to have used O'Connell and Powers interchangeably. For example on 25/11/86 she was discharged from Islington as Powers but in June 91 she was there as Catherine O'Connell.
Who knows why she chose one name over another!
Do you know what the practice was with Creed records about naming people?
I'm interested in the nearest relative being Bro J O'Connell. That is most likely Jeremiah who she claimed to be married to in the census and on birth certs. Is the use of "Bro" a convention to describe someone who was a member of the faith or would it signify a real brother? - (she did have a brother in law John O'C). Alternatively I suppose she may have had to use it because she was never married in church so couldn't call him a husband.
Finally,  what is the best way for me to access Creed records - I can't immediately see how to do that from Ancestry
Many thanks again for your help
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930

from the Browse panel ...
Borough: Greenwich
Parish: Greenwich
Document Type: Religious Creed
Hospital and Infirmary, Vanburgh Hill, Se10, 1884-1892
image 317 (of 446)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in the nearest relative being Bro J O'Connell. I suppose she may have had to use it because she was never married in church so couldn't call him a husband.

Hi
I think that's the likeliest explanation. And, as in most records, not everything recorded in the poor law records is totally accurate.
But it provides the link to Jeremiah O'Connell that you were hoping for. It certainly looks like your hypothesis was correct.
A bit puzzled about E Evans. That part of Mill Lane may have been lodging houses?
John

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the record do you think it might say ‘Fd’ rather than ‘Fa’. Perhaps it means friend  ???

Would this be that Mill Lane?

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/lewisham/assets/galleries/deptford-new-town/mill-lane

That was the address on the death certificate, I think. Or perhaps a birth certificate - I’m just trying to find an earlier reference.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi heywood
Yes, you are absolutely right, it does seem to be Fd. Friend makes sense.
Sorry about that!
John