Author Topic: Lookup: Auckland City Central Library Archives  (Read 1362 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup: Auckland City Central Library Archives
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Minniehaha

Yes, weird.  Thank you for enquiring on my behalf.  I was fairly sure at least a copy of the register was there.

Perhaps genebrarian can chime in?

Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps send her a PM to alert her to the thread, then we will know what is what. :) 

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Twiggy

Unfortunately Auckland Libraries' don't hold the Watney Sibun archives. (Although we'd love to).

https://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/Pages/new-zealand-family-research-sources.aspx

I believe the archives are still held by Sibun's. Funeral Directors are marvellous at responding to email requests for look up

Kind regards
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 18 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I especially asked about Watney Sibun's records. There might have been a few feathers flying if someone had made a special trip to the library armed with this information, hoping to do a search.    ???  >:(  ::)

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 January 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
I guess if someone was on auto-pilot on the phone that day, they may just have heard funeral director records?

Auckland library do have the C Little funeral director records, which I have seen before, and from memory you get the reference from the card indexes in the research area and have to request the register book.  Was a few years ago now though.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 January 18 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I guess if someone was on auto-pilot on the phone that day, they may just have heard funeral director records?

Auckland library do have the C Little funeral director records, which I have seen before, and from memory you get the reference from the card indexes in the research area and have to request the register book.  Was a few years ago now though.

Yes, that's still the case. The card catalogue is still in the Research Centre. We've been refurbished so it is in a different place. The actual funeral order books are still with Special Collections across the atrium on Level 2.
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 03:28 GMT (UK) »

It raised another question though about Auckland Hospital register records ... might the "Register of Patient Admissions and Discharges" have the date of birth on admission, and the cause of death on 'discharge'?

Hi Twiggie,

Archives have Auckland Hospital registers of death and each entry has
Reg, no
Name
admitted
date of death
cause of death

The admissions register has similar information with "native of" "how long in NZ,late residence,occupation,malady,date of discharge or death,

Cheers Janette
neither seem to have date of birth,just age

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: Lookup: Auckland City Central Library Archives
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Janette.

Looks like I might get a little closer with the reason for admission then; but the birth date has got me beat unless there is a hospital birth register somewhere too .... off to have a nosey.