Author Topic: Marion Callander - Please help me find her!  (Read 4071 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Callander - Please help me find her!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, you are so good at finding these newspaper snippets, Isobel!

So many marriages and surnames flying about here. The one we haven't yet seen the origins for so far is Callander.

Would any of you know how I could confirm if this was the Marion who spent time/had a baby in Clement Park in 1957 once i have linked her to the address?  finally if there is no birth father listed on the birth certificate would there be a way to find this out (unlikely I know) and if it's a DNA check can you advise the best site please.

Given the period of the birth, were there no adoption papers with details available to view and check details on? www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/adoption-records

You have the baby's 1957 birth cert don't you? It is from this that you have mother's name as Marion Callander. Is it on this that you have an address for Marion of 11 St Fillans Terrace? I think this is the main strong link you have in identifying Marion's family. It has been a lucky strike with people's searches to have found so much on the family for this period of time online through mainly the newspaper clips that have been mentioned and added here.

Unless there is some reference to the reputed father on any adoption papers as part of the background info to the birth family, you are unlikely to find anything more for him I would say sadly.  His name was not included on the 1957 birth registration, without that info it is fairly impossible to know who he was isn't it.

I am assuming that the name given to baby born in 1957 did not include any surname as a middle name? This can sometimes provide some clues as to possible surname of reputed father.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sh1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hiya the birth certificate doesn't mention a father unfortunately and there isn't a dob available for Marion Callander (mother).  The middle name is William so I think that links to the brother. 

I find it interesting that Marions mother doesn't seem to have been married to Marion, William or Doris' father either but then went on to marry.  From looking at the addresses where Marion has been in Dundee they all seem to be in the same area. 

I feel incredibly fortunate to have been given all these leads for the family and look forward to discovering more. 

Thank you for answering the questions regarding the father etc. I didn't think it would be possible  :-\   

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
There is also another Callendar female child born in 1939 with the three different surnames. Can't see any subsequent marriage or death.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Possible for Mrs A Stewart ( mother to Doris)-
Annie Burns married William Wallace 1925 St Andrew Dundee
Annie Burns or Wallace married John Carnegie Stewart 1945 Lochee
Annie Stewart or Burns died 1990 Dundee age 86 mmn Boyle

Isobel

I think these are divorce proceeding from first marriage for Annie Burns:

William Wallace v Annie Burns or Wallace: Divorce 1943/4 ref CS258/11175

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Monica

Offline Sh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 January 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica this is interesting to know.  I wonder why the children (doria and william) had the surnames Callander when it appears she was married to Wallace when she had them.  Once I have more details and have cleared it up/made sense of all this info I'm going to visit the centre and look at all the relevant certificates in detail.

Offline Sh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 February 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi I just wanted to post to say thank you to everyone on this thread who took the time to get back to me with tips and information regarding my search for Marion.  I was able to go on to find out more about her and her family and although she has sadly passed on I have made contact with other relatives.  My search now moves on to the other half of her family.  Thank you all so much!  ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 February 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
That is great news. Always good to get updates on progress!

Monica  :)