Author Topic: Browser Security  (Read 1320 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Security on RootsChat
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 January 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
The warning is covered by the browser that you are using (Google Chrome or Firefox).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766928.0

Nothing has changed with RootsChat. It's just that web browsers are trying to protect people who are logging into website that don't use encrypted "SSL" pages (the padlock thing in the address bar).

It's important to make sure that a financial site, or shopping site use secure logins, but not for forums.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Security on RootsChat
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 January 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah - I am using chrome  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Hugs.............
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Security
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 January 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Chrome for me and when I reverted to internet explorer the http:// tag came up.
Thank you. 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 January 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have Chrome also  ;D

Many thanks Sarah  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline EvensResearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
As others have said, this warning will appear in Chrome under two possible conditions:

1. You are typing into a form on the page (e.g. replying to a post).
2. You are on a page which has a password input.

Other browsers like Firefox probably have similar logic around when such a warning will appear. The thing to keep in mind is that everything that you type and send can be intercepted and viewed by an eavesdropper without you or the website you're sending it to knowing about it. It's like the difference between sending something in a sealed envelope and sending a postcard.

While that's not necessarily a problem when you're posting to a public forum anyway, you should be careful about passwords.

It's good advice for all sites, but be especially careful not to use the same password anywhere else that you use on a site that has this "not secure" warning (like this one).

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i use Opera as my browser so have never got the 'not secure' warning that others refer to.

However does the distinction that you refer to below - sealed envelope and postcard - still apply in my instance?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
The Browser security warning is a feature of some browsers, and the developers of the Opera browser have taken the view on not including such a warning.

In Opera if you go on websites that require you to put in sensitive or payment / financial details then make sure that there is a padlock symbol to the left of the website address with the word "Secure". The same advice applies to other web browsers too, but the symbol and the wording can differ from browser to browser.

The key thing is to make sure that you do not use the same password on different wesbites. This applies to whether or not they have a security padlock or not, but if you use the same password on websites that have shopping carts (and similar) then this is where the security risk is.

I can't add any more to the answers already given really at the moment. There are some technical (mainly performance) issues why we have been pushed into using a security padlock on this site as yet. It is something we will do at some point, as overall it's a good thing to protect people who do (for whatever reason) use the same password in multiple places.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Message - Website not secure
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 June 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
When I was logging in this morning I got the message ‘Website not secure’, I’ve seen this message before a few times.
I was wondering why this appeared.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Message - Website not secure
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 June 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
See this post with similar problem - Trystan's reply at the bottom

Topics merged
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk