Author Topic: Looking for Bliridryn location listed for 1693  (Read 768 times)

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Bliridryn location listed for 1693
« on: Monday 22 January 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I was looking at Coats of Arms and came across a listing for my family name (HOG) that included what appeared to be the place name Bliridryn (i.e. Hog of Bliridryn (1693)). I've searched every way I know and can't find this location anywhere. I hope someone can help. Thank you!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Bliridryn location listed for 1693
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried sending a copy of the coat of arms to the Lord Lyon King of Arms and asking if he can tell you?  http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/CCC_FirstPage.jsp
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
A coat of arms never belongs to a family, but to an individual. The only person entitled to use it is the person officially granted its use. Not even his family members can legally use it. I'm not sure if this place is even in Scotland. If your Robert Hog from Glasgow had personal arms, it would have been reflected in the contemporary documents. He would have been described as "Robert Hog of ...." followed by the name of a landholding he had.

Offline Morvenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Blairydrine is in Kincardineshire . Durris area near or on the Slug road between Banchory Ternan and Stonehaven I think that today it is a cottage and farm buildings. Sometimes I have seen historic records spelled in other ways  eg Bleariedryne.

Good luck with your search.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.