Author Topic: Austin Frederick Rodgers & Edith Mary Wells, married 1/10/1909 S. Africa  (Read 1731 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Austin Frederick Rodgers & Edith Mary Wells, married 1/10/1909 S. Africa
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 08:25 GMT (UK) »

hi

He died in what was the old Transvaal province in 1962.  This is his Estate File:

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 9406/62                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          RODGERS, AUSTIN FREDERICK.                                           
STARTING  19620000                                                             
ENDING    19620000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE EMILY GLADYS RODGERS (BORN FRANCIS).   

Unfortunately those records aren't available online as yet.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
A really big thank you for all that info!
Wow, now we know he had a second wife, so that leads to question when & where did Austin Frederick Rodgers marry Emily Gladys Francis? She outlived him, so I need a death for her?

This also indicates first wife Edith Mary Rodgers nee Wells died before him & his second marriage (divorce unlikely?????), so need a death for her?

Taking into consideration the name could be mis spelt  Rogers, I haven't turned up anything likely. Nor has hubby's cousin turned up any probable children????????

Any help appreciated PLEASE.

Thanks Doidy

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »

It is really unfortunate that that particular Estate is not online.  It would contain a Death Notice and when properly filled in can be a source of very valuable information.  The DN's usually contain parents, spouse/s children and if lucky female children's spouses.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »

I see from the marriage cert that Edith was a bit older than Austin, is it possible that Wells wasn't her maiden name?  She may have been married before??

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Yes she is older, but when you navigate  Familysearch & manage to look at the document then she is listed "spinster"!!!!!!!! Haven't found a likely person of that name leaving the country (England) yet either??????????
 As they were both resident at Roberts Heights (an army base), wander if she was a nurse or something??????

Thanks for raising the point. It's always wise for other people to "look" at things.

Doidy

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »

It is possible that she may have had something to do with the Military.  It is also unfortunate that the cert. doesn't list their occupations, some of them do.

I have seen a few cases where the designation was spinster, but was in fact a widow.  I suppose at the time it wasn't easy to check.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »

Just to make it all more fun ;D Emily Glady's first husband.  That estate file I can probably get a look at.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 56605                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          BUNN, FRANK GEORGE.                                                   
STARTING  19250000                                                             
ENDING    19250000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE EMILY GLADYS (BORN FRANCIS).

Offline doidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow!!!!!!
It's knitting together! So She married Austin after 1925, which means his first wife died before 1925.

I think I said before that various tree holders (if we have the right person) indicate first wife died 1921. I can't seem to back that up? Neither do I know how they know that if they don't have her marriage to know her surname?
I truly appreciate your help.
Thanks Doidy

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I can send you the link to Bunn's estate, there is a copy of the marriage cert in there for them.  He seems to have been in the military as well.  The Transvaal Scottish, a quartermaster.  He left about £700 in his estate.

It's also a bit strange that for Austin's estate they don't list the previous spouse.  Most of them have all the spouses listed even previously deceased.