Author Topic: Surprise 1911 Census Sibling  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Treecy75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surprise 1911 Census Sibling
« on: Monday 22 January 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm new to the genealogy thing but am having a good stab at researching our family tree.  I'm interested myself but also for my Mum who is now in her 70s and an only child.  We all believed she was the daughter of an only child - my Grandad John Johnson b. 1907.  I have found my Grandad's census entry from 1911 when he was 4 and living in York with his parents.  We were really surprised to find he had an older sister Mary born in 1901 (in Limerick, parents met and married in Ireland when Great Grandfather was over with the army).  No one had ever mentioned her, my Mum is baffled but excited that she might find some relations on her Dad's side because she currently has none.  The problem is after 1911 census I can't find Mary Johnson anywhere.  I looked for a marriage/death.  I checked emigration and ships lists (although that is something I don't know much about so can't be certain I did a great job).

31 Spencer Street York

Household Members
William Johnson (also Francis William Johnson on Irish Marriage Certificate)
33 (head)
Kathleen Johnson (nee. SHANNON)
34 (wife)
Mary Johnson (Irish birth register has Mary Frances Johnson)
10 (daughter)
John Johnson
4 (son)

If this link works it opens Mary's Irish birth registry born 11 Aug 1901;

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01937/1749667.pdf

I wonder if anyone might be able to give me pointers or have a quick look to see if I've missed her somewhere?  I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance

Caroline

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Surprise 1911 Census Sibling
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Have you discounted this marriage or had the family left York area by this time
Marriages Jun qtr 1933   
Johnson    Mary F   (spouse  Lumb)   
Lumb    John T   
York    9d   99
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
A free search of the 1939 register has a John T Lumb bn 1896 & Mary F Lumb born 1901 in Wetherby reg district. 

Playing with the free search Mary F's birthday is showing as August but not the 11th.  It is not unusual for this register to have birth dates wrong.

Offline Treecy75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi rosie,

Thanks so much for looking - I'm going to check it out.  I don't know how I missed it or discounted it... I guess I need to order the marriage certificate??? 

I'm sure this shows me up as very green but does Ancestry search 1939 register...  I don't think I've come across it.  Am excited now :-)  I think I'll pay for the findmypast thing so I can see full Register...  better see how much it is.  This ancestry stuff costs a small fortune!

Thanks again, I'm going to check and call my Mum!

Caroline

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Death registered 1974 Leeds West Yorks....

Mary Frances Lumb
Birthdate 04 Aug 1901

I think you should get that marriage cert.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »

I'm sure this shows me up as very green but does Ancestry search 1939 register...  I don't think I've come across it.  Am excited now :-)  I think I'll pay for the findmypast thing so I can see full Register...  better see how much it is.  This ancestry stuff costs a small fortune!

1939 is only available on F M P.  For that reason we are not allowed to give information from it other than what we can see on a free search.  I have just played again with the free search and the birth date ties in with the death polar bear has posted.
It will not give you much information that you can't get free, it will show an address and give full dates of birth /occupation but no places of birth.  It will only give information on other people in the household that have died, the rest will be blacked out.

If you want to see if they had any children you can search freebmd for birth registrations
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Select births - surname Lumb   spouse/mother surname Johnson

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking on Freebmd there are quite a few Lumb children born in the Wetherby registration with mother's maiden name Johnson. This fits with the 1939 register where there are a lot of closed entries, meaning they could still be alive!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treecy75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 January 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks polarbear - marriage certificate ordered  ;D

And thanks to you too groom - I've called Mum and filled her in, that's lots of potential cousins (and owned up that I only managed it with your help - she'd almost given up with my poor research skills!)

Should I update my post to say 'resolved' in the title?

C

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Should I update my post to say 'resolved' in the title

No! Keep us informed! 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....