Author Topic: Replying to very old topics  (Read 5480 times)

Offline EvensResearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Replying to very old topics
« on: Monday 22 January 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this question but I'm just trying to find my way around here.

I came across this board by Googling for my great grandmother's name, and found a topic which is about her and my great granddad. Naturally, I have some information which is directly relevant to that topic and can confirm some of the conjecture there.

I know that some forums have rules against bumping old topics, and this one was started in 2010 and last posted to in 2012. Would it still be appropriate to post there? Or is there a preferred method of contributing this information?

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Replying to very old topics
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
No reason not to, although the original poster may not be on Rootschat any more.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi  EvensResearch  :) if you post on the topic in question all of the members who have contributed to the thread will get email notification that another answer has been given, it will also bring it back onto the Home page.

Welcome to Rootschat by the way  :) you'll soon find your way around it  ;)

Frank.

ADDED:- Sorry youngtug, post crossed.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi & welcome to Rootschat

To my knowledge there are no specific rules preventing you from adding information to an old post, and by doing so the original contributors should receive an email notification alerting them to your post. 

Alternatively you may want to message the OP directly, which should also generate an email, although you need to have made three forum posts before the PM system will become active for you.

However, you may want to check their profile first to see when they were last active.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline EvensResearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - it looks like this person is still active so hopefully we can swap some information :)

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to say I have found some very old posts on here done by a remote cousin, who I  now cannot contact, but through the posts and discussions I can benefit from the research they had done and the thoughts/theories that they had.  Taking discussion away from the board into email reduces the benefit for anyone coming along in the future and looking for the same family lines.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Definitely reply to old topics - that's one of the many advantages of a forum like rootschat, and often how cousins find each other.

I agree that it is good to keep the names on the public forum rather than reply via personal message. After all, if everyone replied via PM you would never have found your great grandparent's names by googling, and rootschat often appears near the top of google searches.

However contacting someone via PM can also be useful to alert them to a reply on their thread as not everyone has notifications of replies enalbed, or sometimes replies can be missed especially if you receive a lot of them.   :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Wecome to RootsChat from me too...I agree with what has been said and by raising an old post, this will create new interest as there may be info out there that was unavailable at the time. Rootschatters will then add to what has already been posted.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 March 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Wecome to RootsChat from me too...I agree with what has been said and by raising an old post, this will create new interest as there may be info out there that was unavailable at the time. Rootschatters will then add to what has already been posted.
Carol

It also saves others looking for stuff that as already been found!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.