Author Topic: Richard Craddock Gray - Departure from Canada 1925 - 1943  (Read 593 times)

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Craddock Gray - Departure from Canada 1925 - 1943
« on: Monday 22 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am looking to find record of a Richard Craddock Gray (b.10 OCT 1892) departing Canada most likely bound for Scotland. I do have record of him arriving in Canada in October 1924 With the intention of settling in Canada), and record of him marrying in Glasgow in 1944. I am trying to trace his movement between this time. I strongly suspect he departed Canada between 1926 - 1930, but I suppose he could have bounced all over the place before getting back to Scotland. I would assume he wouldn't have had to fill out any immigration papers upon return.  I have tried the UK incoming passenger lists on Ancestry with no luck. I would appreciate any hints on where else I can look!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Craddock Gray - Departure from Canada 1925 - 1943
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
We know we need to be careful with online family trees but there is a tree on Ance that indicates a number of children were born in Saskatchewan after the family arrived there, the first born 1925 and the last born 1938, so he must have been in Canada at least that long?

It looks like his wife also remarried according to the tree and died in Sask in 1978.

Canada didn't keep records for outbound passengers.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you think Scotland kept a record of inbound? I should ask there?

The family tree you've found is correct - I have full history of my great Grandmothers side, we do know from oral family history that he left shortly after coming to Canada - 1925 - 1930.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's inbound records would be the same as those in the UK collection.  Did you see the write-up in the local Invermay history book about Isabella:

http://ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=1026231&qryID=a1cc254e-8d68-454c-a273-87ce9f0c7c3a

He must have been there in 1937 when Marleen was conceived, so returned to England after that? Or he may have signed up to serve in WWII with the Canadians and was shipped to Scotland that way in which case, those records are not, I believe, available.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada