Author Topic: Looking to understand Inventory and Settlement documents  (Read 505 times)

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking to understand Inventory and Settlement documents
« on: Monday 22 January 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I have some documents that I’m curious about and are trying to understand. I’m posting here in Lanarkshire Forum since this is the location listed within the document (Settlement).

First is an INVENTORY of William Hogg, dated 24 AUG 1813. This lists a Promissory Note dated 22 AUG 1808; would it be possible to find this document? If so, where?

I also have the SETTLEMENT of William Hogg, dated 5 APR 1813. Another date in this document is 5 JUL 1806 by William and his wife

This document appears to be a will of sorts, but I am confused. Is there another document that may be available?

What is the difference between the INVENTORY and the SETTLEMENT?

Another curious thing about this SETTLEMENT is William has as his executor his 14 year old son, not his wife, although his wife is listed as receiving payment from the estate. Was this normal? Why would this happen?

Looking to understand this document to understand ancestor and to see if other research opportunities exist. Thank you.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to understand Inventory and Settlement documents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I presume William died early in 1813.

The "Settlement" is an old Scots term for a will; presumably it directs his executor how to distribute his estate. A son aged 14 would in law be a minor, but might still be allowed to act as executor. You would need to find a very old legal textbook or get the advice of a historian with expertise in Scots executries to be certain.

The Inventory should list the assets and liabilities of the estate as presented for Confirmation to the court.