Author Topic: Templeton Family (Ballylinney/Carnmoney/Mallusk)  (Read 4694 times)

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Templeton Family (Ballylinney/Carnmoney/Mallusk)
« on: Monday 22 January 18 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to piece together of this family from the late 18th century - present. From various sources, I have established the existence of the following individuals:  John Templeton (born c1785) married Eleanor Vint. Their daughter, Susanna, married Samuel Leeburn in 1846. The aforementioned, John Templeton, may have lived in Carntall, Ballylinney. Secondly, a Samuel Templeton (born c1795), (spouse unknown). They had a son, William, who married Isabella Piercy in 1859. Samuel (born c1795), may have lived in Lisnalinchy, Ballylinney. William and Isabella had a son, William (born 1865), who married Margaret Campbell in 1888. I know that one of their sons, John Campbell Templeton (1894-1972) married Mary Jane McGladdery in 1925. John (1894-1972) had two brothers, William (born 1892) and Robert (born 1902/03). Their sisters were: Elizabeth Ann, Hannah Florence, Mary, Margaret Louisa and Harriet Irene.

Thirdly,  Samuel Templeton (born c1780), (spouse unknown), had two sons (I think). Alexander Templeton (1811-72) married Elizabeth Curley in 1855. Their family were:  Samuel, John, Alexander and Susan. Then, Samuel Templeton (1808-70), married Margaret Auld. Their family were: Margaret, Eliza, Robert, John, James and Mary. Samuel, (born c1780) may have lived in Jordanstown, Carnmoney, and is possibly the father of a James Templeton (born 1819), who married Eliza Dulighan in 1845. Their family were: John, Joseph, Martha and Thomas.

Fourthly, Joseph Templeton (born c1796), (spouse unknown). He had a daughter, Eliza Jane (born 1826), who married, Alexander Kelso in 1851. Joseph, (born c1796), may have resided in Mallusk, and I think he was also the father of (1) Joseph Templeton (1828-77), who married Mary Greer in 1870. Their family were: Elizabeth, Louisa and Agnes. (2) Robert Templeton (1835-1900) who married Hannah Carruth in 1866. Their family were: Annie, Joseph, Thomas, Mary and Margaret.

Fifthly, James Templeton married  ? McConnell, around 1862, and had several daughters, and a son named John (born: c1877). John, was recorded in the 1911 Census, residing with his unmarried Aunt, in Carnmoney.

Finally, a John Templeton, (born c1800), (spouse unknown), had a daughter, Mary Eliza who married Luke Hope in 1853. John (born c1780) may have lived in Monkstown, Carnmoney.

If anyone is researching or interested in the Templeton family, I'd like to chat and exchange information. .

Offline Alison Kelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Templeton Family (Ballylinney/Carnmoney/Mallusk)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Greetings! We also have Templetons in my husband Terry's family tree as he is the great grandson of Alexander Kelso and Eliza Jane Templeton. We recently visited their grave in the Mallusk cemetery, and right alongside it was another headstone erected by Joseph Templeton in memory of his son William who died 23 June 1836 aged 12 years. I have a photo of both these headstones, and also two photos of Eliza Jane Templeton if you are interested. I would love to know more about this family too, especially the name of Joseph's wife as I got his name from the marriage certificate of Eliza Jane and Alexander, but the mothers were never worth mentioning apparently! Also I would like to know who Joseph's parent were, and any further information about the Kelso family of Hydepark and Mallusk. Cheers, Alison Kelso

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Allison,

I researched the Kelso and Templeton families earlier this year as they are connected in one way or another to several surnames within my family tree.

Ephraim Kelso (died: 6th June 1859)  wife= Jane.  Family:  *Alexander (1821-57) ;  Nancy  and  Margaret.  According to Ephraims Will, his daughter Nancy was married and had 3 children, whilst his son, Alexander (1821-57) who married Eliza Jane Templeton, had three children.

The above named Ephraim had at least one brother, George Kelso wife= Unknown. George had a son, David (1807-88) who resided at Kilgreel, Templepatrick, and in 1857 he married Elizabeth Kelso (1822-94). They don't appear to have had any family.

This is where it gets a little confusing. She may have been a cousin of her husband. Elizabeth was the daughter of William Kelso and Margaret Thoburn. Family:  Elizabeth (1822-94) ;  David (1819-97) married Jane Barnett ;  Susanna (1823- ?) married Joseph Gourley ;  Jane  (1824-1905) married Joseph Kell ;  Margaret (1827-98) married James Alexander,  and  finally, Ellen  (? - ?).

Both Ephraim and his brother, George, were Stone Masons.  I would appreciate if you could inform me of your husbands line of descent from Alexander Kelso and E J Templeton.

Unfortunately I've no idea who Joseph Templeton's wife was, though, Eliza Jane had the following siblings:  Agnes  married  Luke  Williamson ;  Joseph (1828-77)  married Mary Greer  and  Robert (1835-1900) married Hannah Carruth.

I hope this information has been of some help to you.

Regards, Allister.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Allister

I was just looking through the Tithes for Templepatrick and there is a Joseph Templeton there in 1833. I have been looking at the Kelso's again but have not made much progress since last year. There are quite a few in the Tithes for Templepatrick, starting with an Alexander Kelso but whether he is the Alexander (grocer) son of George or the Alexander (stone mason) son of Ephraim is not clear. Maybe another earlier Alexander Kelso existed.

Matthew has found an 1825  land record following on the Will of an Ephraim Kelso who presumably died 1825.

Book 808 / Page 448 / Number 545183
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVT-CQ5P-F?i=314&cat=185720
Memorial of indented deed of release dated 28th Nov 1825 between Joseph Barron of Ballynabarnish and David Biggar [Bigger] of the Trench, farmers, executors named in the last will and testament of Ephrahim [Ephraim] Kelso late of Craigarogan deceased on the one part, and George Kelso of Craigarogan, farmer, of the other part. 

Cheers

Linda

Offline Alison Kelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 September 18 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Allister
Thanks for your reply with further information for my Kelso/Templeton family tree. I suppose the young William Templeton who died in 1836 at age 12 would have been the older brother of Eliza Jane and the others, as he must have been born around 1824. His father Joseph erected an elaborate headstone for him which was a fitting tribute to the eldest son.
My husband Terry is descended from Alexander and Eliza Jane's only son William Alexander (1854 -1940) and his wife Anna Atkinson (1855 - 1921) who were his grandparents. Then his father was Frederick James Kelso (1890 - 1942), the fourth son and sixth child of the above who married Evelyn Maud Potts (1899 - 1976).  I can give a lot more detail of these families if you are interested.
I've attached two photos of Eliza Jane Templeton.
Cheers, Alison

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in, but I am also researching Kelso family. You mentioned Kilgreel as well, which interested me as there is a ROBERT KELSO there in 1833 on the tithe records.

A Robert Kelso was listed as father, occupation gentleman, on 1852 Glenarm Presbyterian marriage record of EDWARD KELSO 26yo to Matilda McCombe.  She was from Larne so I am assuming this was her church.  He (Edward) is seen on Main Street, Antrim Town, in the same year (street directory) as a watch and clock maker.

This couple had at least one child, JOHN KIRK Kelso, who later emigrated to Australia.

Edward died 1859 in Donaghadee, Down. This confused me at first, as to why he left Antrim, but on further thought I became convinced he went to the seaside town because he knew he was ill, perhaps on the recommendations of his physician FIL and BIL. No proof of that, but I felt strongly enough about it that I returned to Antrim records when searching for his roots.

In his 1857 will, Edward leaves shares to both the Committee of the Second Presbyterian Congregation of Antrim and the Primitive Weslyan Methodist Congregation of Antrim.  The will also reveals the name of his half-sister HESSY or ESTHER Sheals. No other siblings named.

Hessy had three children (John Charles, Eliza, and Anne) baptized St Patrick's RC Belfast 1843-1847, so I'm assuming she converted from either the Presbyterian or Methodist church. I could find no record of Hessy's marriage, but if she was married in St Patrick's that wouldn't surprise me as there are missing records from that time. If these were her only children, Eliza may have been her mother's name.

Unsure whether Edward and Hessy shared a father, there was an adoption, or if there was a Kelso-Kelso marriage.

Do any of these names appear in your research? Can you tell me which Presbyterian or Methodist churches in the Kilgreel area I should include in my search, and whether they are searchable online?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
I do not know how or if Robert connects to the other Kelso families in Templepatrick.

A member of a Templepatrick research group has this information about a family who may or may not connect to Robert or Kilgreel but does not appear to connect to the other Kelso families:

"There was a query about a Kelso as follows:
Looking for information on David Kelso born 18 Jan 1820 in Muckamore Antrim.  David was a shoemaker and had a shop in the main street in Antrim town.  He was married to Agnes (Nancy).  He had a brother George and a brother Robert and two sisters Eliza and Belle (Isabelle or Isabella).  Their father Andrew was born in Ayrshire, Scotland in 1798 and Andrew's father was William and his mother Isabella.
I have found a George Kelso born 1823 in Kilgreel which is Muckamore.  The hamlets run Antrim, Muckamore, Dunadry and Templepatrick.  No idea if this is of any use."

So another piece to fit into the Kelso puzzle.

The Muckamore Presbyterian Church may be one of the closer ones to Kilgreel. But I am not a local, quite the opposite! I do not think you can access any Church records online for free, but there are sites where you can pay.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Awesome info Linda!  Muckamore seems most likely area to concentrate for now.

Just for clarification, I place Kilgreel between Templepatrick and Mallusk, while Muckamore seems to be a suburban area of Antrim Town. Maybe you meant Kilgreel is Mallusk not Muckamore?

Not giving up entirely on the Kilgreel Robert Kelso 1833 Tithes, though.  Would you feel comfortable providing contact info on the Templepatrick researcher you mentioned? No worries either way.

Thanks again!

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Linda:. I should also have mentioned that there was an Edward Kelso in Craigarogan on 1833 Tithes, near Kilgreel.