Author Topic: Brindley late 1700s  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brindley late 1700s
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the family of James Brindley plus his birth

James Brindley was born about 1788 Arnold Nottingham

James Brindley
Born Harna, Nottingham
Served 83rd Regiment of foot
Discharged age 34

1803-1820

James Brindley
Born Arnold, Nottingham
Served in 83rd Foot Regiment: Royal New South Wales Veterans
discharged age 42
covering date gives year of discharge

James Brindley m Mary Seacey 25 Apr 1823, Arnold, Nottingham, England

Thomas Brindley baptism at Arnold on 30 November 1823
Thomas Brinley buried 2 Feb 1826, Kent, Rochester : St Margaret of Antioch
(a couple of days after James Brinley re-enlisted)

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brindley late 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
James Brindley is an ancestor of my husband through marriage. My husband's  gt uncle Albert Hall married Alice May Brindley,  g/dau of James.

I have lots of info on the family who emigrated to Australia in 1826 from a grandson of Alice.
I don't have anything on the Thomas that you mention.
If you want to PM me I can look up  info for you.
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks,

Thomas was born and died in England,

Thomas Brinly baptism 30 November 1823 Arnold, Nottingham, England, parents James & Mary BRINLY

Thomas Brinley burial 2 Feb 1826, Kent, Rochester : St Margaret of Antioch (age says 1 but he should have been 2)

(the above records are on Freereg.uk)

James Brindley re-enlisted 30 Jan 1826 in Kent (just a couple of days before this burial of their infant son) and their going to Tasmania (according to his Army papers). After becoming aware of the birth and no death in Nottingham. I decided to search Kent as I knew James had re-enrolled there and there was no Thomas who went with them to Tasmania.

Have you been able to go back any further with James?

I am related by their daughter Charlotte Brindley who married Thomas Perkins my grandmother's grandfather in Tasmania

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I have not personally researched the Brindleys but have lots of info from a descendant in Australia whose findings I have no reason to doubt.   I don't have anything  on James other than he started as a private around 1808 in the 83rd Royal Ulster Rifles and was discharged in 1822. He joined the Royal Veteran Corps in England 1825/6 and next heard of on  26/8/1826 as a member of No 3 Company Royal Veterans arriving on the "John Barry" which arrived in Sydney via Portsmouth, Cape of Good Hope on 8/7/1826. A group of 3rd company were transferred to Hobart. He was discharged 1830.
He died in Sydney 1847 in the Benevolent Asylum and is buried in the Sydney burial ground which is now the Central Station. 

His son Samuel James(known as James) married Esther Rebecca Gulley b 1832 d/o Hugh and Charlotte Maguines and their daughter Alice May Brindley was the gt aunt of my husband through her marriage to Albert Hall (originally from Sheffield).  My interest lies mainly in the Hall line so I cant go back further with James but can fill in any gaps you may have with James and Mary's children.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks,

In my initial post I have quoted the entries for him in the PRO (National Archives at Kew) and it says 1803 - 1820. I would be interested in seeing the information that says Royal Ulster Rifles as it is referred to as Regiment of foot.

He rejoined the Army as a Chelsea Pensioner (NSW Veteran Company) at Kent 30 January 1826 (the company was disbanded 21 Jan 1829)

Thomas's burial in Kent was 2 Feb 1826

He married Mary Searcey  25 Apr 1823, Arnold, Nottingham, England.

The Christening for Thomas was 7 months later 30 Nov 1823 Arnold. Nottingham. England

He left Tasmania in 1846 I think it was, died in the Benevolent Assylum in Sydney 1847. Was Buried in Devonshire Street Cemetery (Sydney Burial Ground) just behind The Benevolent Asylum. The Asylum was across the road from the Church (between the Church and the Cemetery). All the graves were allegedly moved (unknown ones in 10 per new coffin) and where his remains are now is unknown as the remains were moved to a couple of locations, when Central Station in Sydney was being extended.

I will pm you soon.

Wayne

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
If James Brindley's remains were actually removed from Devonshire Street Cemetery (Sydney Burial Ground), it is thought he would be at Botany Cemetery (in a coffin with 9 other people's remains) as he didn't have a headstone.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:59 GMT (UK) »
My cousin has informed me that someone on Ancestry has that James was born Arnold Nottingham 1788 with no birth information (church, dates or parents), that his parents are William Brindley and Sarah Houlding m 19 Sept 1785 All Saints, Sadbury, Darbyshire plus I think she said it says his grandfather is apparently John/Jonathan Brindley.

Until my cousin and I see documentary evidence of these connections (example a birth registration with parents names), we will be putting them into the unproven leads pile.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I need to verify the following family connection information (can't directly from the source as no longer with us) that has been put in a summary on Ancestry.

It says that James Brindley's parents are

William Brindley and Sarah Houlding m 19 Sept 1785, All Saints, Sudbury, England

(verified marriage of William Brindley to Sarah Houlding/Honlding 19 September 1785, Sudbury, Derbyshire, England)

William Brindley was born 1765 in Drayton (father Jonathan)

(verified William Brindley christened 8 April 1765 Market Drayton, Shropshire, England w father Jonathan)

Jonathan Brindley b. 1740? Market Drayton, Eng.

I can't find any birth of a James Brindley born 1788 Arnold,  Nottingham, England to start to make any family connections plus would need to look at the marriage records to see the connection between William who married Sarah and the William son of Jonathan.

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
You are quite right to try and verify before making assumptions.
I have found 2 Wm Brindleys bp in Marston Montgomery which is quite close to Sudbury and which would seem more likely as husband to Sarah Houlding.  This is assuming the Brindleys were in Derbyshire and moved to Arnold in Nottinghamshire, which although not that far away may or may not be correct.

Wm Brindley s/o John and Mary bp 1762 - the most likely father of James if at all!
Wm Brindley s/o Baptist and Hannah  bp 1784