Author Topic: The Old Wesleyan Chapel Elkins Hill Brixham  (Read 635 times)

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Old Wesleyan Chapel Elkins Hill Brixham
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the church with the spire which was built on Elkins Hill Brixham sometime in the 1800's please? This imposing building can be seen in many old photographs of the time but there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere except in some property adverts which says "missing". Apparently this chapel was never consecrated which begs the question why? Who went to the trouble of building this imposing church only for it to be used as a store/workshop by Mr Bubeer in the early 1900's after which it was presumably demolished to make way for new buildings. The church spire was used by the fishermen coming in from sea as a landmark but there is absolutely no mention anywhere - it's as though it never existed. There is a feeling that something dark happened there which is interesting because my family history documents one of my ancestors as coming face to face with the devil on Sheepy Lane Hill (St. Peters Hill) which is just below this site in the 1800's with the most appalling stench. There has to be something somewhere.