Author Topic: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed  (Read 4704 times)

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This place is huge im feeling over whelmed
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I am so over whelmed with the size of rootschat. Am i the only newbie who is looking around and thinking....will i ever get to grips with this.
I guess its like a new job, its brain frazzling for the first few weeks but one day you realise you know what your doing...a few months later you are totally at ease.
As you can tell i am totally new to this but loving every minute x

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :)

Yes you will get used to it, you are off to a good start.

Rootschat is a series of boards, which you see when you click on “forum”  even the county listings are boards, a separate one for each county, remember which board you have posted on.

If you click on your username it takes you to your profile, where you can see all the posts you have made

There wii always be someone to help, no matter what mistakes you make. :) :)

Mike

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Amanda.  Don't worry - we've all been there but it isn't as scary as it first looks.  If I were you I would just spend some time reading through some threads in the Common Room and the Totally off Topic boards.  Jump in to any threads that interest you.  Everyone is very welcoming and helpful.  If you need any further help, just ask.  There are all sorts of experts here and they can't wait to help you with your research.

As you say, after a few weeks you'll wonder why you felt so overwhelmed and by then you would have discovered all the other boards and will be a master of them.

Start small and work your way through at your own pace.  Rootschat isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome from me also, I can only echo what has been said, you will be fine with it  :)

I remember when I first joined and felt exactly the same as you do, just ask away with questions and if you see something you want to reply to on any of the boards just go ahead and do it, before you know it, it will all have fallen nicely into place.

Remember, all of the great people on here are here to help and were all in your position at some time  ;)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Amanda , you will soon be zooming around the boards.
It's similar to going from Junior School to Senior School ,remember how overwhelming that was ?  ;D ;D

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I’ll jut add a couple of points, don’t post names of living people, don’t post your email address, and when you post a question tell us what you already know, so we don’t go over old ground.

Mike.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I’ll jut add a couple of points, don’t post names of living people, don’t post your email address, and when you post a question tell us what you already know, so we don’t go over old ground.

Mike.

And please remember everyone is here voluntarily - please remember to thank them.  It goes a long way  ;D

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »

Welcome Amanda. We were all newbies once upon a time, you'll find your feet in no time. :D :D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry - you'll be fine Amanda.  :)

If it makes you feel any better there are some of us who have been here for years who are still learning all the ins and outs of the site.

I would recommend that you enable notifications of replies to your threads, so you get sent emails to view any replies and you don't miss anything.

Everyone has their own way of using the site. I like to click on the HOME button (on the far left of the brown bar near the top of the page) where I can see all the new topics and new replies. A good place to start is to just have a read through them.  You'll soon get the hang of it - and you've already broken the ice by starting your own thread.