Author Topic: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed  (Read 4693 times)

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone. I think I'm going to enjoy myself here. I do believe that the house and garden may get a little wild this year, but my tree will take shape.  Thanks again x

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me as well :D

I do believe that the house and garden may get a little wild this year

Dust bunnies, I think some of us on here, have adopted them and they live wherever they find space ;D

Sometimes it is easier to have your location mentioned in your profile, we don't want to suggest you visit a library in Australia when you may live in Timbucktoo ;D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone. I think I'm going to enjoy myself here. I do believe that the house and garden may get a little wild this year, but my tree will take shape.  Thanks again x

Haha. I think many of us are in the same boat - I know I was especially in the early days. It can get very addictive.

oddly enough people on rootschat are just as interested in other's ancestors as their own, so you will get loads of obsessives helping you, which I found a great help when I first started.

One thing though - you need to be prepared to spend a bit of money on certificates in order to prove relationships and often to go back a generation. The number required can depend on many factors. Some people purchase birth marriage and death certificate for all branches and all members of the family, others limit it to only the neccessities on the direct line. It can add up, but it is something you need to be willing to invest in.

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 26 January 18 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look at my profile and see if I need to add bits. Thanks for the tip.
I don't mind spending a bit of money, but im just a minion for a large supermarket so supply is limited. I've purchased some old Warrington maps from the Scottish library with the streets my nan mentions in her memory notes.  Going to be looking at those this weekend and re reading the notes
Thankyou all again x

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 January 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look at my profile and see if I need to add bits. Thanks for the tip.
I don't mind spending a bit of money, but im just a minion for a large supermarket so supply is limited. I've purchased some old Warrington maps from the Scottish library with the streets my nan mentions in her memory notes.  Going to be looking at those this weekend and re reading the notes
Thankyou all again x

Slow down a little, you mention purchasing "Warrington maps from the Scottish library" unless you really wanted paper copies of the maps you could have downloaded them to your computer free of charge rather than buying them.
In a similar way there are many free resources available that can help with your research. One of the things forums such as this are useful for is to inform people of the free resources available.
Other resource are available online on subscription sites but some subscription sites open their records to everyone at various times of the year at no cost.
The major subscription sites are often available free at libraries up and down the country a few of these libraries also allow their members to access the resources from their own homes.

Family history can be expensive but with care it does not have to be.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 January 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Visitors to my house are welcome to decide for themselves whether they want to study my family history research or look for dust bunnies.

Martin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 26 January 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
An excellent free site for maps:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=6&lat=53.3995&lon=-3.0305&layers=102&b=1&point=0,0

Have a play with it. You can enter address or if the exact address does not show up, select tha town and try to scroll around to find the address.  :) You can select side by side view from the top middle, which compares old and current maps, and is a great way to see the changes that have occurred. Different map series show different details - select from the menu on the left to find the one which gives the best detail.

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 26 January 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I did want paper maps so was happy to pay, it was about 15.00 with postage and they are huge. I plan to visit my auntie this year so it will be nice to look at them whilst revisiting my nan's, her sisters memory notes.  I'm hoping that looking at the maps will jog her memory as well.
I've saved the link to the map site you recommended ruskie.
Thankyou all x