Author Topic: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed  (Read 4707 times)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This place is huge im feeling over whelmed
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hey look at me I've noticed replies!!!
I think I will look at the counties as has been suggested and take my time reading the threads and finding my way around the place. I have not joined ancestry or any other sites yet but was planning to once I had a little tree worked out on paper, but I realise I may need those sites to create a tree in the first place. Thank you all again. X

Other good places to start are the Beginners and How to use Rootschat threads. The Search box is always very useful too. Try entering family tree software or constructing a family tree.
Whilst the commercial sites are convenient there are plenty of free sites covering almost everything you need to start, see Resources thread.
Got to go, Dr appointment.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I have not joined ancestry or any other sites yet but was planning to once I had a little tree worked out on paper, but I realise I may need those sites to create a tree in the first place.

Hallo, Amanda

Small piece of advice 1: Don't spend money before you need to!

Small piece of advice 2: Don't trust the information in online trees unless there are quoted sources you can check!

Find a free treemaker online you can download (as long as it lets you create a peculiar thing called a gedcom).
Add the information you know.
Keep a note of the sources for your information.
Check out the free sites for Birth/Marriage/Death records (lots of sites, depending which country/countries you are looking in.
Once you get your tree going back a century you should find censuses.
Once you get back before BMD registration you should find church records

And, most important - keep enjoying the discoveries.  Our relatives were sometimes ordinary, sometimes wonderful, sometimes very odd!

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I believe he is my man as he had the same wife and was a picture framer at pinners brow in Warrington. I read my nan's memory notes and she had that information in them also. 
Can I ask what is the buddy button all about. I pressed it for the lady mentioning septimus as I figured she may have information on him. I haven't heard anything ref that but to be honest I'm not sure where I would notice that, and as it was a 2015 thread it may not log it. Plus of course the lady may think who is this person? X

Offline AmandaStrutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 January 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou everyone
I will hold off with the ancestry sites and do as Philip suggests for the time being. One day I will get my DNA done but I'm in no rush as I am the result of my then teenage mother having an affair with a married man. Not ready for those skeletons just yet lol. So I will only be following my mum's side x

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Legacy is a good free family tree program, I have the paid for version but my husband just has the free program.  Many people on here use Legacy.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 January 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Philip beware of on-line trees and unsubstantiated records.
Verify everything yourself, then verify it all again, preferably using another source AND THEN verify that you have copied everything correctly.
There is nothing worse than discovering you are following the wrong line because of duff info. I had my G'g'dad as the son of his uncle and married to his brother's wife, because I made incorrect assumptions. It took some sorting out because I hadn't properly recorded the sources. I have other info I know is correct because I have found corroborating info elsewhere but I still cannot find the source of the original info.
So document where you found the info, book/document titles, authors, ISBN, Chapter/Page no., the place where you found it, internet website, library, the person who gave you the info. etc. etc.

Oh yes and beware of family stories.
I discovered an elder brother for my g'dad, "Oh yes, said an Aunt, "that was the pilot that was killed." After 2 years of searching I discovered he had been killed "by a fall of roof" in a mining accident the day before his 28th birthday.
Above all retain your sense of humour and enjoy your hunting.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Amanda, I'm not sure any of us is sure what the Buddy Button is for.  :)

If you can locate the thread mentioning Septimus, click on the name of the person who you wish to contact and you can send them a PM. Of course you can also reply on the thread itself and hope that the person is receiving emails.  :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who replied I really appreciate it. Yes I did think how do I reply so I'm hoping this gets to you all.
I only found out about roots after I put my 2xgreat grandads name into Google and some old threads from 2015 popped up. I had set the man on a pedestal without knowing anything about him....someone described him as "a piece of work" and that he was a bigamist who went to prison. Lol my husband was very amused when I cried out "Nooooo!!! not my septimus machell" I will take my time to explore thankyou again for your time...and I apologise if it takes me a few days again to reply. X

Amanda, something that might help you if you are tracing this man's family, the name Septimus indicates that he was the seventh child born to his parents. I found this fact very helpful when tracing the children of my great grandparents, I hadn't managed to find six children before Septimus but carried on with my research and found that some had died in childhood. I then had Septimus in his rightful place.  :)

Good luck with your research, I can only reiterate that this is a great site with lots of helpful people.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
All super advice. Start from what you KNOW, and can verify, with certificates, etc. Don't rely too much on family legends. When you've set out all that you know to be the case, decide what line you want to follow first, and frame a question for help on that.
It's far less confusing than if someone posts a "scattergun" wanting several people tracing at once.

Check, when you've written it that places, names, dates are all as close as you can get ( we've all typed an incorrect date! Very confusing) and post it, if possible on the "correct" board.

As others have said, hang around for responses. People are superbly helpful.

The really good feeling comes later - perhaps weeks, months or even years later, when you find YOU can help someone else! That really makes you feel you are taking part!

Enjoy your researches. I think many of us have almost stalled on our own lines, and are very happy to keep on using our "An*****y" or other subs, to look things up for free,  and help out, or even to trot to local record offices or churchyards, to help each other - and it IS that. We all are willing to HELP each other.
Happy hunting - oh, and a belated welcome, as everyone else seems to have got there already!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)