Author Topic: John Joseph Richardson born 1857 Staindrop, Durham  (Read 627 times)

Offline Coverdale1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Joseph Richardson born 1857 Staindrop, Durham
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth for John Joseph Richardson in the hope that I can trace my Richardson line back further.

John married Charlotte Mitchinson in 1879 in Northallerton. In 1891, 1901 and 1911 he is listed as a bricklayer and his birthplace is shown as Staindrop, Durham. I have Charlotte on the 1881 census in Northallerton but John is not present.

John died in 1931 in Northallerton aged 74, making his birth year around 1857, but I can't seem to find a birth for a John Joseph Richardson in Durham in the correct year.

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Richardson born 1857 Staindrop, Durham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the 1879 marriage cert?
Who is given as parent(s) who has what occupation, and what names witness?

have you eliminated this one
Births Jun 1858  Richardson   John Joseph       Teesdale   10a   179 (no MMN on GRO)

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/teesdale.html
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth ref on the Gro site for a John Joseph Richardson Jun 1858 Teesdale 10a 179 no mother's maiden name given. Either the name is illegible or he is illegitimate.

In 1861 Census there is a 3 year old John Richardson living with his grandparents Peter and Esther in Staindrop.

In the 1851 Census ( HO107/2387/F200/p10) Peter and Esther are living in Teesdale and have two daughters with them, Jane born 1835 and Elizabeth born 1840.

If the 3 year old grandson in 1861 is your John thne either Jane or Elizabeth could be his mother.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Coverdale1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you PaulineJ and emeltom for your replies. I don't have the marriage certificate (due to cost), but I might get it at some point if I can't get anywhere without it.

I don't know why I had discounted the Teesdale birth, I think my brain was so focussed on looking for entries in Durham I didn't even properly notice the Teesdale one. I'm not very familiar with the Durham area so I wasn't sure how near Teesdale was.

I had noticed the 1861 census with the 3 year old John Richardson living with his grandparents and wondered if it could be 'my' John, but I hadn't connected it with the birth record. This does indeed look like it could be the right John Joseph Richardson. Thank you so much for all your help!

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Staindrop is in the Teesdale Registration district. If you want to know what Reg District a place is in then the link below hopefully will take you to a useful site

www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/places/index.html

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Alternatively, if you are using FreeBMD, simply click on Teesdale in the entry for JJR and this will open a new window showing: "The district Teesdale spans the boundaries of the counties of North Riding of Yorkshire and Co. Durham; information about it can be found here".  Click on "here" and you get to the UK BMD page for Teesdale.