Author Topic: Caroline Britton, born Mar 1865, no death record, she disappears?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Britton, born Mar 1865, no death record, she disappears?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Those two addresses in adjoining parishes - Slaidburn Street (1865 death) and Cornwall Street (1871 census) must have been quite near to each other.
I don't know exactly what's happened to Cornwall Street, but it was in the vicinity of Moore Park Road. Slaidburn Street is still there today. Both off the Kings Road. On the map we can see that Stamford Bridge and Brompton Cemetery are in between.

Eight months is pretty close to the right age, to a week or so.
Carry is pretty close to Caroline.
Very nice of you Rosie to look up that burial record.
John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
That looks very promising John.  It is always good to have the additional local knowledge too.  :)

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 18 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I never thought that Carry could be a version of Caroline, probably because my sister is Caroline (and no my mum did not know Caroline had been used in the family before)and we use lots of other shortened versions but not Carry.

So would you be confident that this is her.  Is it worth me getting the death certificate?

She is not a main family member, I was just tidying up and only found recently you could search GRO with fathers surname and mothers maiden name. This has thrown up lots of new additions for me.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are quite a few Carrys on the 1871 census. Looking up the birth records for a few of them, some seem to be have been registered as Caroline, others as Carry/Carrie.

I'm not sure that there is another birth registration for a Britton or variants that would match the death of the 8 month old Carry. So, as Rosie said, it looks promising.
Ordering certificates in this situation is a bit of a gamble. You could check for any baptisms, in case it was someone whose birth wasn't registered. If you can't see anyone else it might be, it could be worth getting the death certificate. At the moment you can still get a £6 pdf copy (that isn't really a certificate!) from the GRO.
John

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I really appreciate your help, thank you so much. Again I have learnt something new, I had not heard of deceased online before..... more money  ???

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 January 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I would check that Dec online covered the places you are researching before spending more money.  It is an excellent site with burial records not found elsewhere but it would not hold any more information on Carry to help you confirm she is yours.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Fair enough, thank you