Author Topic: Help with town of birth  (Read 3709 times)

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with town of birth
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am having a hard time deciphering the name of the town Olaf Halvorson was born. It looks like Hasbook or Harbook Norway, but no such place exists. There is a Hasvik ( similar sound), might that be it? I would be very grateful any help with this, thank-you!!

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with town of birth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
If read it as Harbook as well, but I wonder if it was an anglicised spelling of Harbak in Norway.
P
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I see Harbrook too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
There is also "Holmsbu" which had town status between 1847 and 1964.

Malky

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are 2 places which vaguely sound alike which may have been wrongly spellt and anglicized:

Hardbakke
Hulebakk

Can you give a link to the census please.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 00:26 GMT (UK) »
If read it as Harbook as well, but I wonder if it was an anglicised spelling of Harbak in Norway.

Missed this one. Could be this too of course.

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Yes, I'm struggling too. I think the third letter may actually be an 's'. Even more frustrating, I'm pretty sure I figured it out a few months back and forgot to write it down!

Here's the link the census in ancestry - not sure if anyone can follow it? https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/1344/30928_2000913123-00070/2602222?backurl=https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/117280049/person/170164554797/facts/citation/640393186388/edit/record

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry but I don't have a subscription for the time being. Can you give a year and country instead also any other info on Olaf. I'll see if I can find anything in Norway for you.

Ian

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thank-you so much for the help! I find the Norwegian patronymic naming very hard to navigate.

The document above is the Border crossing from USA to Canada on April 23rd, 1926. He is listed as  50 at this time (which puts his birth date at 1876), I think this is an error, all other records point to a birth year of 1870, but know the record is him, as it lists both of his children.

I have a baptism record which may be for my Grandfather (found on ancestry)-  for an Olaf Halvorsen ( with the 'e') for 26 FEB 1870 in Lista, Vest-Agder, Norway with an Andreas Halversen and Kari Olsdr listed as parents. This date matches written family history - which indicates he died in 1952 at the age of 82 ( giving a birth year of about 1870). The 1900 & 1910 US federal census also supports a birthdate of February 1870.

I have a document indicating his arrival from Norway on May 10th 1896 to the port of Levis QC - it lists the correct spouse (Inga), and shows last know city as Skien, Norway. This document also indicates that he is going to Park River ND, which written family history indicates was his first landed location. This document has a column to indicate where the immigrant is going, and there is a note about " Father Andreas Halvorson" and what I think says " 8 years in Park River", but the writing is hard to decipher. I can't find any mention of an Andreas Halvorson in Park City.

Written family history indicates that Olaf/Ole was married on August 20th 1893 to Inga Nelson. They had twins in Norway who died as infants in Norway. They arrived to North America in 1895. They had two sons Arnold Norman (1897) and Hjalmer (1905). Inga died in 1919 - I can find no record of her aside from after coming to the US. 

I have found one 1875 record that might be Olaf, correct mothers name ( if the baptism record is actually him), with a Halvor for a father - http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=0426&kenr=012&bnr=0020&lnr=00