Author Topic: John herron  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John herron
« on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if,with limited knowledge,it is worth travelling to Dublin to the record office

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John herron
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
If you give us an idea of date and the type of information you need for John Herron it would be a lot easier to answer your question.
In the mean time you could check out the civil certs here https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if,with limited knowledge,it is worth travelling to Dublin to the record office

Yes.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »

Very difficult to answer without knowing-
1) how far you have to travel to Dublin
2) what information you already have found
3) what period you are looking at
4) what religion family might have been
5) what information you are hoping to find
etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
This is all I have,John Herron born Dublin,approx1884,father John Herron,farmer.    John married Annie Caroline Coniam in 1910 Southampton,where he was a dock labourer.   He could not sign his name,he said his name in a very broad accent,it was written down as Earand!    On the 1901 census he is in Devonport age19 a dock labourer. He is John Heran then.     He dies in 1917 of the flu age 34.his name then is Heron.   That's it!   Need to know where born in order to get any further,,,he was catholic.   Thanks so much for any help.  I would need to fly to Dublin and stay overnight,so just wonder if any point in doing that!   Pam.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
The link I gave you above gives birth certs from 1864 to 1916. (free)
Don't see him on a first look but many Dublin births are registered with out a first name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
If his father was a farmer then it's unlikely he was from Dublin city but he could have come from somewhere in County Dublin.

Have you found him in 1911 census (we aren't allowed to do lookups for 1911 English census)? that one often gives a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland' or the county.

At this point anything to be found should be online (free) so a visit to Dublin won't help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find him in 1911, his wife had a baby on 23 April 1911 in 44 College Street, Southampton,but they don't appear to have been emmunerated,it's a lodging house. No sign of them on census.   Thank you very much for advice

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 18 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Nearest I got with a father John, farmer  from a quick search was John Hearn 1883 Kilkenny. Urlingford District.
Even if John & wife were in a lodging house at time of 1911 Census they should still have been counted. Surname may have been spelled incorrectly. Have you tried variations of name, including adding O, with and without apostrophe? Another possibility is that John was elsewhere when baby was born, working away. He may have gone back to Ireland and be on Irish Census. Was he informant of baby's birth? how long after birth was it registered?
Edit. Census Night in England was 2nd April 1911, 3 weeks before their baby was born so they could have been anywhere.
 You said he gave his age on 1901 Census as 19. If correct that would give an estimated birth year of 1881 or 1882. What information do you have to make you think he was born around 1884? Both estimates may be wrong. You may need to search the birth certs for a few years either side on the link which Sinann posted.
Cowban