Author Topic: John herron  (Read 1089 times)

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John herron
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 January 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
People who signed with a mark were not always illiterate just intimated by officialdom or not in the habit of writing so too nervous with official documents.

I have certs where a former governess sighed with a mark, and another person who signed their name and signed with a mark in the same month with the same registrar.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
People who signed with a mark were not always illiterate just intimated by officialdom or not in the habit of writing so too nervous with official documents.

I have certs where a former governess sighed with a mark, and another person who signed their name and signed with a mark in the same month with the same registrar.
I've also heard that some busy clerks and clergymen saved time by writing a person's signature and asking them to mark it, rather than wait for the time it took for a person unused to writing to form their signature. Writing with a pen dipped in ink was a laborious process for anyone not accustomed to it.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 January 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much,    Just trying to think where he could be in 1911 when his wife of only 9 months is about to have their first baby,he seemed to always be a dock labourer, have looked on prison records,and newspapers,guess I might never know,but you folk have been so good in trying to help,and I thank you,most sincerely.