Author Topic: John herron  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John herron
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 January 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
People who signed with a mark were not always illiterate just intimated by officialdom or not in the habit of writing so too nervous with official documents.

I have certs where a former governess sighed with a mark, and another person who signed their name and signed with a mark in the same month with the same registrar.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
People who signed with a mark were not always illiterate just intimated by officialdom or not in the habit of writing so too nervous with official documents.

I have certs where a former governess sighed with a mark, and another person who signed their name and signed with a mark in the same month with the same registrar.
I've also heard that some busy clerks and clergymen saved time by writing a person's signature and asking them to mark it, rather than wait for the time it took for a person unused to writing to form their signature. Writing with a pen dipped in ink was a laborious process for anyone not accustomed to it.
Cowban

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 January 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much,    Just trying to think where he could be in 1911 when his wife of only 9 months is about to have their first baby,he seemed to always be a dock labourer, have looked on prison records,and newspapers,guess I might never know,but you folk have been so good in trying to help,and I thank you,most sincerely.