Author Topic: John herron  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John herron
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Was the marriage of John and Annie Caroline in a Catholic church? If so there may be a note in register which may give you a clue about where he came from. The Catholic church hierarchy produced new rules on marriage around them and required proof of baptism. As John wasn't a native of the parish in which he married he may have had to ask for a letter from his parish priest back home or a dispensation.
NB If a marriage registration say " at registry office or registrar attended" a marriage may have taken place in a church other than Church of England. A registrar had to attend weddings at Catholic and Non Conformist churches unless the clergyman conducting the wedding had been designated a registrar of marriages.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Was this the child:
Ann Elizabeth HARAN registered 1911 June quarter, Southampton,  mother's maiden name Conian.
Where did John die in 1917?
Where was his wife from?
Surname may have been spelled Horan on some records.
Wife of head of household where John was lodging in 1901 was from Dublin, as was another lodger so whoever filled in census form probably wrote down correctly POB as it was told to them. No indication as to whether it was city or county of Dublin.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 07:27 GMT (UK) »
I looked at Herron on Irish Census. They were mostly in the North.
Have you tried Ahearn(e)/Ahern(e)?
Cowban

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 January 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Firstly,many thanks for your kindness.     I can see maybe WIlliam Curtinborn Dublin could be known to him,but just a lodging house with dock labourers And the like.  Annie Nee Coniam the wife of John,born Devon 1881 married John 14 July 1910 in Register Office Southampton, his name given as Earand! Which in Irish accent sounds like Herron,he couldn't sign so maybe illiterate,or drunk!!!!!
Nothing I can see on cert about catholic,   Married in the Register Office by certificate before me,crossed out is "according to the rites and ceremonies of the ".     William Curtin could write his name witness ,with wife Caroline ,who couldn't.        First child Anne Elizabeth  Harron(on cert) born 23/4/11. Second Mary Helen born22/2/13 name on cert Herron.     I have been to Southampton to see the workhouse books,where they were in and out of,and where they all ended up in 1917..the  mother then left the by then FOUR children and disappeared,   The husband ,John Herron died on 22/4/17 in Isleworth Middlesex,workhouse,of Spanish flu. Age 34.       

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
It's possible his father wasn't a farmer. A farm labourer perhaps, people often tried to appear more 'respectable' by improving their own or their parents occupation.

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 January 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you!   

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 January 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Had a breakthrough today! Found John Herron's wife on 1911 census ,employed in a large department store in Southampton,living in,a dressmaker, about to give birth,but no sign of her husband!   She was going under the name of Annie Herring,but mis read,but have been looking for her for a long time!     As a dock labourer he wouldn't be in the army would he?   When the third child was born,they lived in Custom House, east end docks London. That was four years later though.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 January 18 00:15 GMT (UK) »
John may have been in lodgings in Southampton or somewhere else under another version of his name, gone to sea or returned to Ireland for a visit if he had family there.
Have you seen the baby's birth certificate? If so, who registered the baby's birth and what was John's occupation on cert?
Have you searched for John on 1891 English census in case he went to England as a child?
Cowban

Offline Pam Herron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 January 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much,in case I am so involved with this wretched fellow that I forget to do so!    Don't think John Herron went anywhere near the register office as illiterate,but am checking,   Don't know if he is in jail,I have had a look but if under name not spelt correctly ?   May try the newspaper index,do you happen to know what paper would cover Southampton?