Author Topic: Birth/Marriage record request - Newborough, Evans Family 1802  (Read 2724 times)

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Marriage record request - Newborough, Evans Family 1802
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you everyone!  We have Thomas Evans listed as born in 1802, but that would be within a year or two - so it sounds reasonable/logical at this point that he is our guy.  Yes, we are descendent of Evan Griffith Evans, and down the line through his son Evan Richard Evans, Robert John Evans, Robert Griffith, Mark Robert Evans (my dad), and then me - Heather (Evans) DeFer.  Sounds like Trefdraeth is where we need to look for gravestones for several family members.  Are there multiple churches in Trefdraeth that we need to look at or did you uncover a specific church parish?  This information has been so helpful, as we prepare to come over and walk in their shoes in June.  I appreciate your help!

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 02:38 GMT (UK) »
So the questions that pop up now are:

1. We had a Thomas Evans die at Tyn Llwyn in 1841 at 3 years old, and the dad Thomas - possibly dying at Tyn Llwyn in 1842.  Are both accurate?  We believe our line is via Thomas and Ellin - but Evan Griffith is our ancestor, which would make Elizabeth Jones our GGGG Grandmother.  Thoughts or any other findings to support this?
2. Who was Thomas Evans' father?  Evan Thomas or Emmanuel Evans?  Was the patronymic name system still in use at that time?
3. Which churches and cemeteries do we need to visit in Trefdraeth for baptism and burial records?

Thank you so much, and I will start working on these questions as well this weekend.  You have all been so helpful!

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
2. Who was Thomas Evans' father?  Evan Thomas or Emmanuel Evans?
Hi Heather,

I believe Emanuel Evans was Thomas Evans father, grandfather of Evan Griffith Evans. I would like to summarize below what I have found about this family and attempt to answer your other questions, including the reliability of the sources, later. The Thomas Evans of Newborough, son of Evan Thomas, who married Ellen Williams in 1851, and who you have traced through the 1851 - 1881 censuses, was a different person (and may not have had any descendants).

The baptisms and burials in Trefdraeth parish records for the Evans family already given all link to Ty'n/Tyddyn Llwyn as the abode. In the 1841 census,while it is indicated that Thomas and Evan were born Anglesey (born in county = y), Elizabeth was born outside the county.

There are two Calvinistic Methodist baptisms with father Emanuel Evans & mother Elizabeth (maiden name) Jones for a son Joseph 7 Oct and 20 Oct 1806, the family live at Ty'n Llwyn, Trefdraeth but, very helpfully, the mother's parish before marriage is given as Llansannan, Denbighshire.

There is a marriage in Llansannan parish records between Emanuel Evans (bach. of Llanrhaidr) and Elizabeth Jones (otp) on 8 Aug 1785. Witnesses Thomas Jones, (illeg.) Lloyd.

A series of baptisms took place at Amlwch with father Emanuel Evans (miner) and mother Elizabeth, they are listed below:

Robert - 27 Oct 1787
Griffith - 19 May 1792
Thomas - 28 Jun 1794 (Burial Amlwch 20 Nov 1797, Thomas Evans, Bontfawr, infant)
Hannah - 4 Mar 1797 added burial Amlwch 24 Nov 1797, Hannah Evans, Bontfawr, infant
Thomas - 10 Nov 1798
Evan - 21 Feb 1801

Finally there is a nonconformist baptism at Rhosmeirch Chapel on 24 Mar 1803 for Willm. son of 
'Manuel Evans, Methodist Preacher. The mother's name is not given.

I haven't searched for any of Thomas Evans' siblings but a Robert Evans was the informant when the deaths of Thomas Evans (1842) and Elizabeth Evans (also 1842) were registered.

Regards

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 18 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  That clears up my questions and gives me some new avenues to pursue.  I enjoy a new challenge :-). I appreciate all of your help!