Author Topic: Marriage records  (Read 1092 times)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records
« on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm now looking at marriage records in Ireland in my quest to find my ancestors. I'm not finding anything before abt 1835, where can I find records before that? I don't mind paying for this if some kind soul could tell me where. I'm actually looking for the marriage of Arthur Hughes and Anne/Agnes mcweed on one birth cert for son in 1826 in Edinburgh and then shows as Mcwade in cert for second son. I've looked for marriage in Scotland. Arthur and wife show in census as born Ireland abt 1881.thanks you.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
That should be 1781.........

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
This might be difficult -  Before civil registration was introduced in 1864, Church records are the main source for Irish genealogy as they give baptism, marriage and burial dates.
Sadly not all church records survive (and not all that do survive are online).

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again Sandra , yes, I suspected that. So many dead ends and going round in circles with Arthur, but will keep going. Onwards etc etc

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Rootsireland (subscription site) has a fair number of pre statutory registration marriages. You could try them, but a lot of early church records (ie pre 1830s) are either lost or were never kept. Some of those that do exist are in PRONI in Belfast but you need to have an idea of the parish and denomination otherwise it’s a needle in a haystack.  And they are not on-line, so you need to go in person.

For McWade/McWeed, include McQuaid in Ireland. The name can be spelled that way too. It’s a common surname in Ulster.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify an earlier post- civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864 (along with all births and deaths) but registration of non-Catholic marriages, including Registry Office, began in 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for telling me about irish marriage records, I'm looking for info well before the dates mentioned. It's folks that were born in Ireland , Arthur Hughes and Agnes McDade, mcweed, or McWade I'm looking for, settled in Edinburgh, born abt 1785, Agnes died in march 1846 and I can't find arthurs death , it would give me his parents details. I'm starting to think he moved from Edinburgh after 1851, maybe back to Ireland or England. Anyway, will keep on looking. Another rainy day project, just  as well we have lots of rainy days in Scotland!!!