Author Topic: Edmund Barlow 1869-1927 - is he in a staff photo at Stourhead?  (Read 501 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Edmund Barlow 1869-1927 - is he in a staff photo at Stourhead?
« on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
On the photograph dating board I posted what appears to be a picture of (gardening?) staff and others  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786359.new#new

It has been suggested it could date to 1917-20.

This ties in with a standard postcard of a front view of “Stourhead Mansion" - I have attached the message on the other side.

My grandfather Bert is writing to his mother at Newbury, and I think the postmark is 27 JUN or JUL 17.

Bert’s father was a gardener and I think he is the chap seated on the far right.

Are Rootschaters with Wiltshire knowledge able to say if the photo on the other board is Stourhead?   
Berks - Appleton Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Wernham
South Bucks - Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall - John Henry Grigg born c 1839 where?
Hants - Hine/Hind
South Oxon - Barlow Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk - Philpott Stone
Surrey Edwards Knight Lanaway

GEDmatch kit : A134159

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Barlow 1869-1927 - is he in a staff photo at Stourhead?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Didn't have the back on the other thread - it is post marked Stourhead and 1917.

(I only have knowledge of North West Wilts, where my in laws came from and some are still  there :)  )

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify - these are two separate cards.

The group photo on the Dating Board has "POST CARD" "COMMUNICATION" "ADDRESS ONLY" printed on the back - and nothing else.

The message from Bert is written on a postcard showing a standard front view of the House.

Sorry to confuse folk. 
Berks - Appleton Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Wernham
Hants - Hine/Hind
Suffolk - Philpott Stone

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I've heard back from a historical researcher at the National Trust that the group photograph is NOT Stourhead.
Hants - Hine/Hind
Suffolk - Philpott Stone