Author Topic: George Martin Stewart/Stuart Born Limerick in the 1830s  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Martin Stewart/Stuart Born Limerick in the 1830s
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 January 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »

I found a record from the RIC, he was 19 when he enlisted and the year was 1858.
Born in Limerick, works out to be born 1839ish
He was known as Stewart, Martin.
Martin Stewart.
When people left the RIC to go over seas they always put on their record where they went, it says AUST.
Doesn't say when. There isn't an image so we can't see any details.

I will send the record in PM to wscroley.
AND THEN...........I searched for his birth........
He was Baptised on the 2 Feb 1840
I am a member of Ancestry and all, well most of the Parish books are listed so it's easier to find.
If you go to the registers on line in Doon and Castletown, Tipperary and Limerick, Ireland you will see him.

Maggsie

Hi ... had already placed much of this information on wscroley's New Zealand thread earlier.   ;)

There was actually an image available (my resource was FindMyPast) .
It said he had resigned on 22/6/1864 :     Reason:  To emigrate to Australia.

~  Lu

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 January 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again for all the info.  The one niggle I had was that Martin Stewart was baptised as a Catholic whereas the rest of the family seemed to be Presbyterian/Church if Ireland.  But I notice on the igp-web summary of RIC service for those enlisting with the native county of Limerick that Martin Stewart is listed as 'P' = Protestant.  (My subscription to Findmypast ran out just before Christmas - typical...)  Perhaps George was Protestant and Bridget, Catholic.  Lots of info for me to get to grips with. 
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline njstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 October 22 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again for all the info.  The one niggle I had was that Martin Stewart was baptised as a Catholic whereas the rest of the family seemed to be Presbyterian/Church if Ireland.  But I notice on the igp-web summary of RIC service for those enlisting with the native county of Limerick that Martin Stewart is listed as 'P' = Protestant.  (My subscription to Findmypast ran out just before Christmas - typical...)  Perhaps George was Protestant and Bridget, Catholic.  Lots of info for me to get to grips with.

I'm George Martin Stewart's G. G. Grandson, in all honesty we don't know very much about his life in Ireland. He came to New Zealand as a Taranaki Settler Soldier from Doon, Limerick County in the 1860s, we weren't aware that he may have been married in Ireland and we were lead to believe he was born around 1840. He was married twice here in New Zealand. My Grandfather was lead to believe that our family had always been Catholic. He sadly past last year so I won't be able to help you with more information pertaining to the reasoning behind Martin's catholic baptism.

Offline njstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 October 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
Oh and also we didn't know our family came from Ireland until recently, my Grandfather was raised to believe we had come straight from Scotland so it's a fine time trying to work through all of it.