Author Topic: Is this the right family? 1841 Alexander family Bothwell  (Read 811 times)

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary (Johnston) Alexander (Oct 1845 - Oct 1934)
    • View Profile
Is this the right family? 1841 Alexander family Bothwell
« on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
After a lengthy break from family research I've recently popped back in and instantly noticed a potential error in my earlier findings. Maybe. So I'd appreciate another pair of eyes (or six) taking a look to see if I've got the right family in the census with just a few extra kids (or something), or if I need to put this census record back in the maybe-shoebox.

Anyway, my 4x great grandfather was Archibald Alexander, born 23rd Jan 1787 in Uddingston. He was married to Ann/e Forrest. I know this is right due to his son (my 3x grt grandfather) John's birth entry. I haven't been able to find a marriage for Archibald and Ann, though I've had a lot of issues finding records in Bothwell/Blantyre so it's not too much of an issue. My issue at the moment is with an 1841 census I found a while back, who has Archibald living in Bothwell with three others. Archibald's age is close enough, he's living in Uddingston, and his profession is similar to the one mentioned in John's birth entry. There's a younger Archibald Alexander with him aged 15, the same as John's son Archibald (born 1826), who isn't with John and his family in their 1841 census. What I'm not sure about is the two younger women living with him, Charlotte and Janet, both 25. Initially I just focused on Janet, who I assumed to be Archibald's daughter (and John's sister) who marries Richard Rankin in 1843 and who, in 1851, has some of John's children living with her and her family. John and his wife presumably died between 1841 and 1851 (definitely deceased by 1856), as all their children were spread out in 1851 among John's siblings.

But until now I never really considered who Charlotte is. I can't find any record of her related to Archibald aside from the census and she's the same age as Janet. Potentially twins? There are twins in that family line, but then their ages might have just been assumed. Or is Charlotte a daughter in law or grandchild or someone else entirely? I'm finding it difficult to trace her beyond 1841. I can't actually find a birth for Janet either, even though I can find births records for her brothers John, Andrew, and James. Plus Janet would have been born about 1819, leaving a 9 year gap between her and the last known (with evidence) birth from that couple. Is that too much of an age gap? Would there potentially be more children between then whose records are missing as well? I tried to find Janet's death so I could have proof of her link to Archibald and Anne, but the last record I can definitely find for her is the 1881 census.

It sounds less confusing now I type it out, but it's made me question a few other threads I've followed in my research. I guess this is what I get for taking a break for a good few months. Any help?
Wales - Moses, Morgan, James, Williams, Thomas, Miles, Davies [South]
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]
Scotland - Alexander, Johnston, Scotland, Muirhead, Dow, Forrest [Central]
Ireland - Alexander, Morrison, Gallaugher, McCrabb, Smyth [Ulster]
Canada - Alexander, Mylchreest [Manitoba, BC]
USA - Alexander [North/Northeast]

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right family? 1841 Alexander family Bothwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
John (b. 1878) will have the date and place of his parents' marriage recorded on his birth certificate.

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 census the ages for adults were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5.  So  Charlotte and Jane aren't necessarily the same age, if they were recorded correctly they are each between 25 and 29 but often the concept of rounding down to the nearest 5 wasn't properly understood so you may have to widen your search even further.
Mary

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
John (b. 1878) will have the date and place of his parents' marriage recorded on his birth certificate.

If you're referring to Archibald's son John, his birth record doesn't have any details about his parents' marriage. It just says he's a lawful son of them and lists his birth date and baptism date. Sorry, Archibald's dob should have been 1787, not 1878.

On the 1841 census the ages for adults were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5.  So  Charlotte and Jane aren't necessarily the same age, if they were recorded correctly they are each between 25 and 29 but often the concept of rounding down to the nearest 5 wasn't properly understood so you may have to widen your search even further.
Mary

Ah, that is helpful! I knew they wouldn't have been as exact back in 1841 but I'd completely forgotten they rounded out the ages! I need to start writing these things down. I'll widen the dates and see if anything pops up. Thanks.

edit: One of Janet's daughters has the middle name Forrest on a much later entry down the way, so I'm more confident again that Janet is a child of Archibald and Ann. Charlotte I'm still lost on. Doesn't help that there's another Charlotte in the next generation down who hasn't got any birth records etc while her siblings all do. Something odd going on with that name!
Isle of Man - Mylchreest, Kneale, Clague, Callister, Cowin, Oates, Kelly, Gelling, Cubbon, Comish, Gell, Harrison, Costain [South]

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Charlotte Alexander marrying Andrew Niven in 1850 Lanarkshire ?

Could this be that couple ?
1851 CensusBarony Lanarkshire(FreeCEN)
72 Dalmarnock St
Aw Niven 62 weaver & Chelsea Pensioner b. Glasgow Lanarkshire
Charlotte Niven 38 wife winder b. Uddingston Lanarkshire

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
There's a death for a Charlotte Alexander(or Niven or Chisholm) , age 84 , 1897 Camlachie Lanark.

Also a marriage for a Charlotte Alexander / James Chisholm 1855 Glasgow Lanark.

1881 Census(LDS) Barony Lanark
72 Dalmarnock St(same address as the 1851 Census)
Charlotte Chisholm 67 widow pirn winder b. Uddington Lanark.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline hiraethu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look into those and see who her parents are listed as in both, thanks Ev! I ended up getting sidetracked last night by a very tenuously linked family, but they're giving me a headache so I'll try my lot again  ;D

edit: Yup, that was Charlotte! I got her death entry from SP and her parents are Archibald and Ann. Thanks for your help! Unfortunately the death entry I thought was Janet's doesn't list her anywhere, so I've contacted SP for some help. I need to take more notes next time I take a break so I don't get confused again.