Author Topic: Bully Trees near Birstall or Gomersal - a long shot  (Read 1040 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bully Trees near Birstall or Gomersal - a long shot
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I am currently looking into the Kershaw/Kirshaw/Kirshay etc family of Birstall.  I have come across a few records for William (they liked that name!) living at Bully Trees.  All records are from St Peter's Birstall and list him as being William K...(what ever spelling they preferred) of Bully Trees.  I have never heard of this place, not sure if it is a farm. pub or hamlet.  Kind of hoping that someone might have an idea of what Bully Trees was and where it was/is.  I have looked at oldmapsonline but could not see it (that doesn't mean that it isn't there! Had a giggle at Hell Hole Wood that looks like it is pretty much where the M62 is now, so kind of certain that a few modern day commuters will agree with the name!).  But I digress, the records that I found for William were viewable on the famous site beginning with A that rhymes with tree or transcribed on the LDS site.  He married Susanna Lister on 30th May 1737 and had a few children, starting with twins Abraham and Sarah in 1738 (although to view that one you have to beta search), there are a couple of other children William (yes another!) bapt 1742 transcribed as Kasher but it is not a good copy and John (another name they had a penchant for!) bapt 1740 both Gomersal or Great Gomersal as their place of abode.  Kind of hoping that someone is wanting a challenge.

Thanks for reading  ;D

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bully Trees near Birstall or Gomersal - a long shot
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
How about Bullace Trees Farm, Bullace Trees Lane etc? They're in Liversedge, which was in the Parish of Birstall, just to the north of Roberttown.

You can see them on this map:

http://maps.nls.uk//view/100947662

Where Liversedge is printed in black italic capitals, it's around the ER in the middle of the word.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bully Trees near Birstall or Gomersal - a long shot
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh that sounds promising and a possibility, thank you
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend