Author Topic: 1913? Australia, Charles Vincent LAWS & Mary Ann (McGarry) LAWS  (Read 561 times)

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1913? Australia, Charles Vincent LAWS & Mary Ann (McGarry) LAWS
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 03:41 GMT (UK) »
I'd really appreciate help dating this photo of my g-g-grandparents and some of their children.

The photo was definitely taken in Sydney, possibly in the yard of the pub they managed in Liverpool. At one stage the father, Charles Vincent Laws, was licensee of the Commercial Hotel in Liverpool (it's no longer there).

Charles was born in 1849 and looks to me to be in his 50s here. His wife, Mary Ann (nee McGarry), was born in 1848. The best clue I have is that I know the little girl behind the birdcage is their youngest daughter, Mollie, who was born in 1895. She looks to me to be aged about 8 or 9 here but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking about 1913. This would fit with Mollie's estimated age and with the fact that the two young men are there and they would likely have been absent or in uniform from 1914 on.

I don't know much about the clothes of the era so am hoping those will be helpful to someone who knows about such things.

I have another photo of the parents on their own but couldn't figure out how to upload both photos in the one post. It doesn't really show any more except their shoes.

One mystery is the identity of the other child next to Mollie. I thought it was a girl at first but it may be a boy. Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your help.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: 1913? Australia, Charles Vincent LAWS & Mary Ann (McGarry) LAWS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Feliss, If you're meaning 1903 rather than 1913, I think you'd be about right. (Born in 1895, 8 years old in 1903.) The pompadour hairstyles of the women were an early to mid Edwardian style.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I think the girl looks to be about 11 yo. give or take a year so Peter isn't far out with his guesstimate.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Any good?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my maths is out: I did mean 1903! Thanks Peter and Carol.

I'm still wondering about the child next to the little girl. He seems to be wearing a dark jacket and appears to have long hair. If we take the date as 1903, I'm wondering if he's a brother who was born in 1890 which would make him about 13. Do you think that's possible? Would long hair have been usual for boys in that era?

Just a side issue: the two sisters at the back look pretty miserable. One had an illegitimate child in 1904 and I'm wondering whether she was pregnant in the photo. It would account for her unhappiness, poor thing.  :(

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 07:03 GMT (UK) »

Charles was born in 1849 and looks to me to be in his 50s here. His wife, Mary Ann (nee McGarry), was born in 1848. The best clue I have is that I know the little girl behind the birdcage is their youngest daughter, Mollie, who was born in 1895. She looks to me to be aged about 8 or 9 here but I could be wrong.

If Mary Ann was born in 1848 and the child Mollie was born in 1895, that makes Mary Ann 47 at the time of the birth.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 18 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Yes, that's right.

Mollie was the 14th child and her mum was 47 when she was born. Mollie was a full 24 years younger than my great-grandmother who was the third-oldest child.

This week I met up with three of Mollie's grandchildren who are all about my age. My great-grandmother was their grandmother's sister.  :)

Felicity

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 18 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Well  ;D
One can only smile in amazement.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Imagine 14 pregnancies!  :-\

Back in 1978, I had a school friend who was one of eight children. Her mum had a surprise pregnancy at the age of 47 and had twin girls so they ended up with five boys and five girls. My friend and I were 15 at the time.