Author Topic: The English Origin of Thomas Stanton, a Migrant to Connecticutt in 1635  (Read 719 times)

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The English Origin of Thomas Stanton, a Migrant to Connecticutt in 1635
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I put this  on the Bedfordshire sub-board today but didn't quite finish it before accidentally posting it, so hopefully I get it right this time.  I used that sub-board as his ancestral line could be Stantons in Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire.   Another possible place of origin is Warwickshire so I am now posting on that sub-board as well; I trust that is in order.   

I am trying to determine the English origin of one Thomas Stanton who migrated from England to North America in 1635 sailing in "Bonaventure" at the recorded age of 20 yrs.   He settled in Connecticut where, at Hartford in 1637, he married Anna Lord who had 10 or so children.  Thomas died in 1677.   There are at least two schools of thought in regard to the ancestry of Thomas.

One is that Thomas was born in Wolverton, Warwickshire, a son of Thomas Stanton and Katherine Washington, with years of birth varying from one family historian to another, but mostly between 1914 and 1917.  An online search using findmypast.com.au reveals only one such event:

Last name  First name  Born Died Event   Record set                                           Location     
Stanton      Thomas       —       —  1617   England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975   Wolverton, Warwickshire, England

Another school of thought (promoted inter alia by Robert J. Stanton) is that Thomas was born in 1613 in Longstowe, Cambridgeshire, being a son of William Stanton.   A search of Cambridgeshire Baptisms using findmypast.com.au reveals the following:

First name(s) Last name Birth year Baptism year Father's first name   Mother's first name   Baptism place     
Thomas           Stanton       1613          1613               William                    —              Longstowe

It is possible that the grandfather of Thomas was Willam Stanton, born 1540 Eversholt, Bedfordshire and died 1582 in Clophill, Bedfordshire.

Thomas, a Puritan, became a prominant member of society in Connecticutt.   Does anyone have any evidence to support one English county of ancestry over another as to the origin of Thomas?