Author Topic: Whittet Kinnaird 1700-1750  (Read 1044 times)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whittet Kinnaird 1700-1750
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my Whittet family and have reached a brick wall with my 6xg grandfather Thomas Whittet, who married Margaret Wighton in Kinnaird in 1747.  Just to confuse the matter, he was married as "Whitehead" and all but one of their children were baptised as such.  However, I have not found any Whiteheads that link with this family and I believe Whittet (or variations) to be the correct name.  I have checked this theory with Perthshire archives and they concur.

Looking for possible baptisms of Thomas Whittet or Whitehead between 1700 and 1730, I can only find in Kinnaird: son of John 1705 (seems a bit early unless he married twice), son of James 1716 (no other James's in my Whittet line).  In addition, there is a Charles Thomas, son of Thomas, in Redgorton. 

Thomas and Margaret's children were baptised in Abernyte: John 1749, Patrick 1751, Alexander 1756, twins George and Agnes 1760 (both died), all baptised Whitehead, and George 1765 baptised Whittet.  Looking at conventional naming patterns doesn't seem to help, as his wife's father was called John and there were Alexanders and Patricks in the Wighton side.

There is a burial at Abernyte in 1776 of Thomas Whittet of Balairdy, but no age is given.

My 5x grandfather, Patrick/Peter Whittet, called his children John, Robert, William, Francis and Thomas (in that order).  It may be relevant that, almost concurrently with these baptisms in Abernyte, there were several for children of Francis Whittet: John, Jo, James, Margaret, Peter and William.

If anyone has any information on this family, or ideas on other avenues to search, I would be most grateful.
Jim

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Whittet Kinnaird 1700-1750
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Wittit christened 20 JUN 1695, Tibbermore,Perth,Scotland to John Wittit, is that too early?  Another christened 10 Sept 1699, Rhynd, Perth to John Wittit and Jean Maller.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whittet Kinnaird 1700-1750
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found baptisms back to 1705, but that would mean Thomas was 42 when he married Margaret Wighton.  A first marriage at that age is not impossible, but fairly unlikely.  I haven't found an earlier marriage of Thomas, so I am thinking that the baptisms in 1705 and 1716 are probably not the Thomas I am looking for. 

The 1705 one was son of John, but none of his siblings names occur in Thomas and Margaret's children. The 1716 Thomas was son of Robert and, of his siblings, only Patrick and Agnes occur in Thomas and Margaret's children.