Author Topic: Date please for photo - Elizabeth Barlow (1867-1938) & her girls, Newbury, Berks  (Read 749 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date please for photo - Elizabeth Barlow (1867-1938) & her girls, Newbury, Berks
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I've decided to go for 1909-10 and Dorothy and Gladys. 

None of my books have much on children  and what they show are indoor, formal shots or included in groups. Here's a link to a page on one site that I occasionally look at :

http://www.fashion-era.com/Childrens_clothes/1900_1910_girls_costume_pictures.htm

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Re: Date please for photo - Elizabeth Barlow (1867-1938) & her girls, Newbury, Berks
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Gadget -  I was just typing this as you posted !

If the photo is March 1907, then the girls would be:

Dorothy aged 1 year 6 months  and Gladys 3 years and 8 months

How about these two in March 1909 or 1910?

Berks - Appleton Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Wernham
South Bucks - Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall - John Henry Grigg born c 1839 where?
Hants - Hine/Hind
South Oxon - Barlow Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk - Philpott Stone
Surrey Edwards Knight Lanaway

GEDmatch kit : A134159

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:43 GMT (UK) »
 4 and 6 or 5 and 7 and Dorothy and Gladys for me.  Lillian would be too old and Winifred has already died.

It could be April - late flowering  daffodils  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Thomas Capes ~ 1917 age 27yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I've decided to go for 1909-10 and Dorothy and Gladys. 

None of my books have much on children  and what they show are indoor, formal shots or included in groups. Here's a link to a page on one site that I occasionally look at :

http://www.fashion-era.com/Childrens_clothes/1900_1910_girls_costume_pictures.htm

Gadget

Me too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone  :D- especially Carol and Gadget
Berks - Appleton Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Wernham
Hants - Hine/Hind
Suffolk - Philpott Stone

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gadget that children are hard to date....clothes were often passed down and altered...the younger child looks to have a dress that is a little bit big for her and has been taken up...the other child's dress looks a little on the small size if you look at the sleeves...but on balance, I think they are most likely to be Dorothy and Gladys.

I love it...it reminds me of Frank Sutcliffe's street photography.

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/gallery_194448.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
In the 1950s, my Mum used to buy me clothes that were a size to big, so that I could grow into them. My sister was 7 years older than me so I didn't have hand me downs. We did share clothes in the 1960s though!

I have some of the Sutcliffe books - wonderful images. :)

* shoes had to be Startrite - Clarks and measure via those funny X-ray machines ;)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:36 GMT (UK) »
As the photo is backed by a postcard, does this mean it was taken by a commercial photographer who went around the streets looking for people to hand over a few bob for a likeness?
Hants - Hine/Hind
Suffolk - Philpott Stone

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
More than likely...natural photos of every day life taken on the spare of the moment...that's what adds to the charm  :D
Carol