Author Topic: Shipbuilding  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shipbuilding
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
With such heavy loads of timber, metal plates, coal, etc., that railway waggons have to carry it's extremely important that the railway lines are constantly maintained by the surfacemen.

Attached is a photo of railway lines in Hebburn-On-Tyne ship building yard; where my OHs grandfather worked (occupation, boilermaker)... and another image of railway lines in the Alexandra Dock in Hull in the 1960s, where my OHs father worked (occupation train engine driver).
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jclass7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shipbuilding
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff. I now have a much clearer idea as to just why surfacemen were need in the docks. I was intrigued by the photo of the ship painted in dazzle camouflage during the last war. What was of interest was that it was strictly forbidden to take photographs in shipyards at that time, so that shot must be quite rare.

Best regards and thanks

Martin