Author Topic: St Mary's Churchyard, Birkenhead - Reburial Records  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Renron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Mary's Churchyard, Birkenhead - Reburial Records
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi , Can any one help?.
There was a family ancestor buried in St Mary's Churchyard, Birkenhead in 1916. In, approximately, 1957 the churchyard was sold to Cammell Lairds, Shipbuilders for the building of a dry dock. The remains (some 5,500 people, were reinterred in Landican Cemetery. Wirral Archives confirm the the person concerned, Hilda Humphreys (age 1) was indeed reinterred at Landican. At a visit to Landican today they say they have no record of the person as they only have a record of the first person buried in each grave. I think that there must be a record of who is buried where, can anyone point me in the right direction to look

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Churchyard, Birkenhead - Reburial Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
If Wirral Archives have confirmed that she was reinterred at Landican, then in theory there should be a burial plot/grave number for her.

Recheck with Wirral Archives and ask if there is any plot or grave number for her.

Was there anything in the local news about this reinterment in 1957?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Renron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide, yes I thought I would go back to Wirral Archives and see what I can find.
The reinternment was a big deal in the area at the time as the remains of 5,500 people were involved. They are all reinterned in a specific St Mary's area of Landican. The records that were shown to me at Landican do look VERY basic so I'm not too optimistic. Searching the web regarding the basics of the reinternment leads to think that as the remains were recovered they were placed in a new coffin in plot order and reburied the same way, so that is the route I am taking and will look as to whom was buried with whom and try and solve the problem that way!.

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon Renron

if you have a look here (you will need to scroll to the beginning (using older posts) there is a detailed explanation of how the graves were moved & numbered. I have not found a MI for Hilda though there is one for a Humphreys family.

http://stmarysbirkenhead.blogspot.co.uk/