Author Topic: HMS Ballinderry WWI.  (Read 2100 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMS Ballinderry WWI.
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on the ship HMS Ballinderry in WWI.[There was a ship of the same name built during WWII].  Have recently received photos connected with my Grandmother's cousin who was in the Royal Navy Reserve in WWI.  One photo is of a greetings card for Christmas & the New Year.  It is not dated, but appears to relate to WWI.  It is signed by Andrew D. Vinell, together with the name -
"HMS Ballinderry."  I have googled the ship's name but the only result I get refers to the WWII ship.
Can anyone help re the WWI angle ?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Ballinderry WWI.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
The authoritative site naval-history.net does not list a Ballinderry in WW1 in any category (link is to the WW1 list of warships etc) http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishShips-Dittmar1.htm#b

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
MaxD, Thanks for your reply, and I will have a look at that link. Many years ago when I was about 7 years old I was staying at my Grandmother's.  Talking to her sisters I always remember her remark, "Poor Fred, he went through the war and then got lost at sea [1919] when his ship went down."As I have posted, photos and other items are surfacing after 100 years. !!! In the last few days I have received many photos via email, but many of them from 100 years back have no names or information re who is who.  But having shared them with current family members the result is, " Doesn't that photo look like your Dad, Me, your sister, or whatever." !!!!
Hoping someone can still come up with information of HMS Ballinderry, and Andrew D. Vinell.
I have googled that name and there is a reference to it from about 1915.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
There were two Royal Navy "ships" with the name BALLINDERRY. One was a shore establishment HQ Reserve Fleet. Opened 1942 in Barrow in Furness.
The other a River Class Frigate built in late 1942.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission site has no commemoration for Andrew D Vinell.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
There were two Royal Navy "ships" with the name BALLINDERRY. One was a shore establishment HQ Reserve Fleet. Opened 1942 in Barrow in Furness.
The other a River Class Frigate built in late 1942.
seaweed, Thank you for your interest.  I cannot fathom out re the greetings card. To me it looks as though it is a card sent just after the end of WWI.  But, if it was sent in WWII then it should not relate to our relative.  He died in 1919, and his father died about 1924.  There were no other direct relatives living.
But a coincidence, and life is full of them !! HMS Ballinderry was built during WWII at his and my home town.
Hopefully some one else in here will come up with even more information.
Thanks.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Not clear whether Andrew D Vinell is known to be the real name of a relative?

The FreeBMD births 1837-1983 have one birth only of an Andrew D Vinell.  It is in the Tonbridge registration district in 1923 to a mother maiden name Payne.

"Poor Fred, he went through the war and then got lost at sea [1919] when his ship went down."
  Grandma called him Fred??

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Spent the last hour or so searching Admiralty records at the National Archive together with records from CWGC. Using the search terms VINELL, VINALL, VINEALL, individually or together with the prefix's A and F. Also searched BALLINDERRY, BALINDERRY, BALIN, BALLIN and DERRY.
Could not find any records concerning your man or HMS BALLINDERRY circa WW1.

Have you got any records regarding his RNR service?

Is it possible you could post as an attachment the photograph you have of the Christmas/New Year card together with any relative photo's?

Was your man a Fisherman at any time?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
MaxD, and seaweed, Thanks for the interest.  I tried to upload a photo(jpg) of the card with my other post, but it was rejected as too large.  The name on the card - Andrew D. Vinell, is the sender. Presumably the card is now connected with WWII.  My distant relative was in the RNR.  I will have to check my notes for his service no. After WWI he returned to the Merchant Navy where he was 2nd Engineer on S.S. Flush.  That ship was lost with all hands in Nov. 1919, in the Baltic.
If you visit RootsChat>NORTHUMBERLAND, and search for "Blyth History" you will find threads re S.S. Flush.
Also on www.wrecksite.eu  a search for the ship will show you full details, plus a photograph of it.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 January 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Since there was no HMS Ballinderry in WWI, I have come to the conclusion it relates to the ship which was built in WWII.  Built at Blyth and the relative who had this card also lived in Blyth. I now assume that there was a connection between her and Andrew D. Vinell.  The most likely possibility is that he was in lodgings at her address, and that he was connected with the ship either through the shipyard, or he was Royal Navy personnel.
I have also learned that when a RN ship was under construction future officers of the ship would be in attendance on probably a daily basis.  Senior officers billeted in hotel, etc. and junior officers in lodgings.  As HMS Ballinderry was laid down in 1941; and was commissioned in 1943, the card relates, more than likely to Christmas 1942, prior to the ship sailing.