Author Topic: George Martin Stewart, Police Constable in Hokitika  (Read 543 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Martin Stewart, Police Constable in Hokitika
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Robert STEWART - b. 1898 - s/o Catherine and George STEWART, served in WW1.

Go to the following and click on the "beige-coloured" link >
STEWART - Robert - WW1 - 72531 - Army

https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=7821710&digital=yes

The record tells that Robert's next-of-kin was his Mother, Mrs Catherine STEWART of Rolleston Street, Hokitika.  [Electoral rolls show that Catherine and George STEWART - retired policeman, lived at that address for many years. ]

At IMAGE # 5 - Attestation of Robert STEWART - whilst it doesn't give the names of his parents, it does say that his father was born in Limerick, Ireland and his mother, at Hokitika, New Zealand.

~  Lu                                                                     continues  > >

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for all this extra information!  I shall have to go away and digest it all.  It just goes to show that finding a record depends on what you type in as I had been on to Family Search for instance and been through all the permutations and come up with nothing.  It is interesting that the family continues the name 'Robert' as I found a baptism in the Limerick records for a George Stewart, son of Robert Stewart.  Perhaps this Robert was the brother of George and my ggrandfather, William.
Thank you again and very best wishes.
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Whilst searching on  "'George Stewart" I also spotted the following Probate file >

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMZ-N98P-V?i=251&cc=1865481

This contains the 1930 Will of George STEWART*, late of Wellington, Civil Servant, [* file also records that he is a.k.a.  George Hain STEWART ]

in which he makes bequests to >

.... my sister  Nellie BEAUMONT

....  my sister   Mary DUNCAN**  ..... my nephew  Arthur DUNCAN

[**  I take it that this is the woman also known as "Miriam" ???
NZ Birth :  1875 - STEWART - Mary - parents:  Ann and George
NZ Marriage :   Miriam STEWART - William James Angus Archibald DUNCAN -- Year: 1894 ]

NZ Death Index (online) shows >

1945 - STEWART - George Hain - 68 years   [bc  1877 ]

~  Lu                                                                   continues  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 January 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have a bit more for you to "digest".   ;D

If I'm recalling correctly, I think you also said that you had dismissed the record of a
Martin STEWART baptised 1840 at Doon. ??

I checked this at FindMyPast and it says >

"3 February 1840

Martin .. s/o  J .. orge  ?  [with a question mark on the transcribed version]  STEWART and Biddy MOLONY ... of  [can't decipher name ]
   ....   Nancy and Thomas MOLONY  .. [who are probably the sponsors ?]

Parish :  Doon and Castletown
County :   Limerick and Tipperary".
------

There is also a "tree" at the ancestry website for this same Martin (the record had been written up for a "Martin George "Mtn" STEWART (1840-1918) -- Doon RC Parish records :
Parents:  George STEWART (1810- 1881)  and Bridget MOLONY (1820 --)  ???

A "Nellie MASON" is recorded as the first wife of "Martin George STEWART".  ???

Further -  there is an enlistment record for the year 1858 - Royal Irish Constabulary - Martin STEWART - 19 years - born Limerick :
[I think the date of service ended at 1864 with a note that the man STEWART was departing for Australia. ]
 ???

Will leave it for you to decide.    ;D

~  Lu

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all.  I saw the tree on Ancestry and messaged the owner at the beginning of January, but no reply as yet.  Not sure where the name 'Nellie Mason' came from.  I had put the record of Martin Stewart's baptism to one side as he was baptised as a Catholic whereas the rest of the family I've identified were all Presbyterian/Church of Ireland.  But the summary record for Martin Stewart's RIC service lists him as Protestant. (My Findmypast subscription has just expired).   Perhaps George was Protestant and Bridget, Catholic.  The probate details are very useful for identifying the subsequent generations.  Miriam/Mary (Nellie Beaumont's sister) was also known as Marian according to the NZ Electoral rolls.  The two sisters were living together in 1935.  Miriam's husband appears to be living at a different address with their son and Nellie's husband was living in the Cook Islands before his death.  What a complicated family!
Thanks again and best wishes.
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline whitechas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think Geroge was my great grandfather. My grandmother was Margaret and she was born in the 1890s. I do have the date somewhere but not to hand. He came from County Doon in Ireland. My grand mother was a Catholic. They were related to the Steels also. My mother and her sisters were born in Hokitika also. Their surname was Brand.