Author Topic: Win10 help needed please  (Read 1710 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Win10 help needed please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 January 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm not too keen on change myself these days but I very soon got used to Win10, although I did cheat by trialling the pre-release version while still using 7 on my main PC.

As I said, I mainly use third-party software so I'm not too sure of some of the of the Windows apps. Maybe someone else can help there.

If you don't have an installation disk I would think it wise to create a recovery disk. In Control Panel select "Back up and Restore (Windows 7)", which doesn't do what it says unless you upgraded from 7::)  At the top left of that window you should see "Create a system repair disk".

On the start menu, I seem to remember you right-click on the tiles one by one and select "Unpin from Start". Once they're all unpinned you should end up with the menu as in my earlier screenshot.

In the Settings window I turn off almost everything in the Privacy section, but if you use certain M$ services you will need some of them. There is no Save button, the settings change as soon as you close the window in most cases.

Keyboard shortcuts are here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Hope that helps a little  :)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 January 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes my plan was to get used to Win10 on a new pc while still having my existing fully functioning Win7 computer, but said piece of kit had other ideas  :(

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way to not have to sign in to my own computer every day?  It seems a bit ridiculous since I am the only user in the house.  I can understand there being a need to keep my m$ account secure, but if somebody breaks in and steals my computer I think that unauthorised access to my photos and FH stuff will be the least of my worries.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 January 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way to not have to sign in to my own computer every day?  It seems a bit ridiculous since I am the only user in the house.  I can understand there being a need to keep my m$ account secure, but if somebody breaks in and steals my computer I think that unauthorised access to my photos and FH stuff will be the least of my worries.

Have a read at http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 January 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Falkyrn, option 1 worked.  And Mike, I've followed your instructions and made a recovery disk, now stored safely with all its predecessors and disks for much-loved old software.  I've also got rid of the tiles but my start menu still doesn't look like yours Mike until I've done a few extra keystrokes - start, cursor down, cursor down, cursor down, enter - what's the secret?  Also I thought I'd configured jump lists but apparently not.

Anyway, I'm gradually getting there.  I seem to have successfully configured my wireless printer (haven't tried the old wired one that I use for scanning yet).  Have ordered a promising looking Win10 book at my local bookshop.  Even managed to rename my second on-board HDD back to D:\ after it got relabelled E:\.  To my mind the most likely reason for this unexpected behaviour is that I installed some antique software that expected the optical drive to be D, so Windows dutifully shuffled everything about.  Too clever by half!  I think that's part of the reason I'm struggling, I like to know how things work and Win10 is very much "black box" technology.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 January 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't remember everything I did in the early days but you can play around with the start menu settings under "Personalisation", there are several options you can switch on or off . . . I just tried it on mine and I think you need to switch on "Show app list in Start menu"  :-\

As you say, Windows 10 is far too clever but you can tailor it to suit you with a bit of trial and error. One good thing is that it seems better than any previous version at sorting itself out if things do go wrong, if you give it time.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent