Author Topic: Hoddam Castle Hotel Dumfries  (Read 915 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Hoddam Castle Hotel Dumfries
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone remember the Hoddam Castle Hotel, Whitesands, Dumfries

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoddam Castle Hotel Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Your question made me curious, Cupcake, because my interest in Whitesands lies particularly in another long gone hostelry there, called the Farmers Inn, which was run by my ggg-grandmother and where my gg-grandmother was born. The 1852 OS map I have shows both the Hoddam Castle Inn at the junction of White Sands and Brewery Street (now occupied by a Land Rover spares dealer), and the Farmers Inn (now occupied by a coffee shop/restaurant) a bit further along Whitesands.

I see that the Post Office Directory for 1911-12 describes the Hoddom Castle Inn at 32 Whitesands as being occupied by Mrs Paterson. But it's no wonder a few disappeared over the years; my map suggests that there were at least 14 inns in Whitesands and Brewery Street between Buccleuch and Bank Streets.

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Hoddam Castle Hotel Dumfries
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the information. I am from Dumfries and know it is now occupied by a Land Rover spares dealer, so the info you have given is great.

The reason I asked is Jim Glover who was in the same regiment as my G Unlce, gave his mother as next of kin - address Hoddom Castle Hotel, Whitesands, Dumfries, and was curious as to what it may have looked like back then in 1914/15

Thank you
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman