Author Topic: Browns in Roberton and Hawick  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Browns in Roberton and Hawick
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's family came from the Hawick area but moved to Birmingham for work. My great grandmother was Elspeth Bell Brown (nee Telfer) who died in Birmingham in 1899.  Her husband was Walter Brown (1859 - 1928), an artist and also Master painter and decorator.  I have traced information concerning Elspeth but I'm drawing a blank to a large extent with Walter. He had a sister, Mary who married a Thomas Michie, also from Hawick.  They moved to Birmingham after the death of Elspeth to care for Walter's children.  His father was Michael Brown, born in Roberton around 1836.  By 1841 I believe Michael was probably an orphan and living with a relative, Agnes Balmar (nee Brown) with his siblings. He spent three years in the army and he later married Jane Dickson, also in Hawick on 28/1/1859. I can find nothing to tell me who his parents were, his date of death, or how he was related to Agnes.

I've looked on an interesting site about the Borders area but can find no mention of Brown in Roberton.  I will be visiting Melrose shortly, which I understand is not far away.  Can anyone suggest somewhere where I might be able to search parish records etc please?  Also, does anyone already hold any information on "my" Browns please?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Browns in Roberton and Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If Michael Brown married in Hawick in 1859, his marriage certificate will tell you the names of both his parents.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked this death for a Michael Brown on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Michael Brown aged 64 died in Hawick in 1896 - ref 789/1 54

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you thought to check the death cert of Agnes Brown/Balmer to see what it says about her parents? This will help you to try and establish the family connection.

I think this may be her death:

Agnes Brown/Balmer, aged 67 died in 1888 in Hawick - ref 789/ 122

Monica 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the input.  This is my first venture into looking deeply into anything from records based in Scotland and I wasn't quite sure where to start. I certainly hadn't been able to find that information you have pointed out.  I appreciate the pointers and I'll see what else I can find!

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this.  I bought some credit and I've made a start already.  Agnes was obviously Michael's much older sister.  As I said, my first venture into Scottish records so this was all new to me!

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
If you are at Melrose you might find it worth visiting Hawick Heritage Hub; you can view all the records held by ScotlandsPeople. When I went last year it was £15 for the day and you can search as many records as you like.