Author Topic: Baptism look-up please, Emley circa 1763  (Read 2880 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism look-up please, Emley circa 1763
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
The year came from his burial but there are several trees online that claim specific dates

This is one, we don't know whether this is the originator or another copy

http://www.thanksfrank.co.uk/mellor_hammerton_generations.htm
 which leads to this

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Stephen is our sticking point.

If I can't verify that date and the move from Yorkshire to Coventry, I'm not prepared to accept the rest of the information on the site.

I need to sit down and go through the link to the pr transcriptions and see if I can verify some of the other information.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 February 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past has an index for the wills held at the Borthwick in York. Putting in Hammerton gives quite a few hits including some in Emley but others not too far away such as Silkstone. It might be worth seeing if some of them might have clues.

My other thought was whether there are any Hammerton wills in Warwickshire that might help.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 February 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you found a marriage of John Ham(m)erton to Mary Coldwell parents of said Stephen Hammerton baptism or born 3 May 1763

The said father above John was baptized or  born 21st Jun 1721. according to this link.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=168295.msg968796#msg968796

If you can find the marriage of the parents John and Mary ?? then that will be a start.

Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:53 GMT (UK) »
A marriage is supposed to have taken place 2nd Sept 1751 at Mirfiled but when you look at the actual image John Hammerton married Margaret Coldwell not Mary on that date.

The other trees are slowly starting to unravel.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 February 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn-sh

To put you mind at rest one way or another.

Huddersfield local studies library have Emley church parish registers on micro film and nearby nonconformist chapels (if there was any near Emley them years)

The library staff do free look ups with a keen eye, by phone, emails or land post with SAE or ask to purchase a micro film copy of Emley church PR for the month of May 1763 (be there about £2 or £3 with postage)

If Stephen (Steven ?) was born in Emley 3 May 1763 he could have been baptized much later ( years) or another parish or county

https://communitydirectory.kirklees.gov.uk/communitydirectory/organisationdetails.aspx?orgid=3101

There are 2 other possibilities  ??? as trees online say BORN not Baptism 3 May 1763 -so the mystery origins of the date birth could be a birth entry in a family bible or a Quaker birth.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 February 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The images for Emley are online at Ancestry, althought they are out of order and take some finding.

There is nothing to suggest major differences between the images and the various transcriptions that have been found including people who have checked other sources.

If people have just copied tree after tree after tree then the birth/baptism date discrepancy has been copied along. Those of us who have been doing this long enough realise the potential error.

I had my hopes raised and dashed at one point thinking it might have been something to do with the 1752 calendar change  :-\

If though the family were Quaker, they wouldn't have married in a parish church, they would have been able to marry in a Meeting House in 1787

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 February 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
The images for Emley are online at Ancestry, althought they are out of order and take some finding.

There is nothing to suggest major differences between the images and the various transcriptions that have been found including people who have checked other sources.

If people have just copied tree after tree after tree then the birth/baptism date discrepancy has been copied along. Those of us who have been doing this long enough realise the potential error.

I had my hopes raised and dashed at one point thinking it might have been something to do with the 1752 calendar change  :-\

If though the family were Quaker, they wouldn't have married in a parish church, they would have been able to marry in a Meeting House in 1787

When couples of different faiths met and married  who's to say ? also some people also seemed to change over the years between Anglican and nonconformist and back again in children's baptisms.

As far as trees, if someone put Sitting Bull married Mary Horncastle in Barnsley in Iceland in their tree - sure as heck other trees would copy it.  ;D

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 February 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't take a lot of notice of Ancestry trees, one tree had me down as died 2005.

dobfarm - that made me chuckle, perhaps you could borrow Mark Twain's famous quote and add it as a note to the entry  :P

dawnsh - if any of the Wills at the Borthwick look like they may hold some clues I'd be happy to look at them sometime for you.

Pinetree

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk