Author Topic: William Cowie Dunbar (1926-1955)  (Read 1015 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Cowie Dunbar (1926-1955)
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi I only research my line but tonight I have been talking to my friend who told me about her father who died when she was a baby and she has no photograph of him. She has never seen one.

He was William Cowie Dunbar who was born in Rubislaw, Aberdeen, in 1926. He married in Bradford in 1953 and had four children and died in 1955. I am trying to find out more about his family for my friend.

I have not researched in Scotland in the 20th century to find out more so can anyone please offer any help to find out more about him? I said I would do some digging!

He either did National Service or was in the Armed Forces from what we believe but no idea if I can find out any more.

Can anyone please help me help her find out more?

Thank you,
Jonny

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Cowie Dunbar (1926-1955)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Think the best thing would be to order the birth certificate on www.scotlandpeople.gov
William Cowie Dunbar Reference number 168/3 269
That will give you his parents names and their marriage and that should help you get further back
Rosie

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie.

I have now got the certificate and it names his parents as James Dunbar and Agnes Watson Bruce Milne. I have now found that they married in 1918 and had two other children. I am not sure why James Dunbar was named as James Stewart Dunbar on his sons' two marriages as it does not appear anywhere else.

Amazingly I have been able to track a cousin on the Milne side who has amazingly got a photograph of William Cowlie Dunbar and his two siblings. I can't believe I have been able to find one so quickly and my friend is delighted as she and her siblings have never seen one!

I have now found that William's mother died in 1936 and his father died in 1965. James Dunbar was a Civil Servant and I am trying to find out more about him. He lived at 14 Summerhill Terrace, Aberdeen, and I assume there might be a will. I am not sure where to find it though. Can anyone please advise me?

Thank you,
Jon

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Click on this link to find out about wills;
https://nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/wills-and-testaments
regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 February 18 06:58 GMT (UK) »
So glad you have been able to make contact with a family member and managed to get a picture

Rosie  :)