Author Topic: asylum records and 100 year rule.  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
asylum records and 100 year rule.
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if you can get permission from a health trust to release case notes from asylums of relatives that are protected under the 100 year rule? Can you request the release personally to avoid the high cost of using third part researchers?
 I have paid already to locate where a relative was from 1915 to 1917 in the asylum so I know her admission number and where she was but as her case runs right through until the 1960s I've been told I need special permission to have the files released which the researchers can do on my behalf  but obviously quite a high cost is involved. I just wondered if it was possible to request the files to be released yourself.
Also does anyone know when files still protected up to 1917 will be available to the public now it's 2018?

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: asylum records and 100 year rule.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you can request records directly including those that are inside the 100 year rule.  My understanding is if you are the nearest living direct descendent it is unlikely to be a problem.  It would be worth contacting the relevant archives service - if it is Lincolnshire, the email address is lincolnshire.archives "at" lincolnshire.gov.uk
They will be able to advise whether you need to write directly to the health trust to request permission or whether they can request permission on your behalf.

If she was in the County Asylum in Lincolnshire, according to the National Archives, these records are at Lincolnshire Archives and permission to view records within 100 years can be requested directly to Lincolnshire:
"Medical records and other records of patients are closed for 100 years from the date of the last entry. Permission to view more recent records should be addressed in writing to the Principal Keeper, who will liaise with the relevant authorities."
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/fec1239f-8422-49b6-83af-cb2b5147edce

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
 They can request but obviously if they request on your behalf I think they charge to do it. that's why I wanted to know if you could do it yourself somehow. thankyou :D
It is Lincolnshire Archives that has done the research for me initially  ;)

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Found a link to suggest Lincolnshire has the records and requests can go direct to them so hopefully there would be no charge to seek permission.  I've modified my post above to include the link.

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Found a link to suggest Lincolnshire has the records and requests can go direct to them so hopefully there would be no charge to seek permission.  I've modified my post above to include the link.

They have quoted me £40 per hour at the Lincolnshire Archives so I assume if it's them that have the records you have to pay them to get them authorized for release ???

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
It may be worth checking what the £40 would include, they may mean it would cost £40 per hour for them to go through the records and send you copies of the relevant ones if you're not able to go and see them in person and not that it costs just to request permission? 

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
It may be worth checking what the £40 would include, they may mean it would cost £40 per hour for them to go through the records and send you copies of the relevant ones if you're not able to go and see them in person and not that it costs just to request permission?
Yes I am going to do that. If I have to pay for a couple of hours research that is fine if it finds me the information in the end but if it's just to request the permission to gain access to the records it would be cheaper to do it yourself if possible, but I have feeling it will be through them only.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
My g.uncle was in Prestwich Asylum until his death in the 1960s.  The chief officer at Prestwich told me I could see his records but that they were now in the Manchester Archives.  Unfortunately, they are adamant that the 100 year rule stands and that I can't see the records until 100 years after his death.  As I would be about 122 by then, it stands to reason I will never see them.  He was never married, had no children and all his siblings and their children have long since died, in fact my mum was the last to die in 2007, so I (and my other 4th cousins) are his nearest relatives and far removed from anything that would upset us.  I did manage to persuade the archivists to let me have the admission pages of his records dated 1907 but that's all.  I keep thinking I'll write and ask if they can let me have the next 10 years up to 1917 or see if they've had a change of heart.

You may be more lucky with Lincolnshire archivists.

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 18 08:00 GMT (UK) »

thankyou Lizzie for that information. It seems odd for you that they wont release his notes if you are the nearest relative. I have been told by Lincolnshire that I can have the notes up to 1917 no problem and after that it is just a question of applying to the health trust that hold the records to get the later ones released to me which they can do me on my behalf seemingly no problem. My issue is only the costs involved not that they wont do it 
Surely it can't be one rule for one county and different for another. Maybe try again. Anyway  the 1917 case notes should become available soon as its past 100 years so maybe you will have more luck..