Author Topic: Monteith row Glasgow  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Johnwardrop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monteith row Glasgow
« on: Thursday 25 January 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks
I have attached my aunt's  search for information  on her mother, my grandmother

Information about Miss Margaret Bryson dob 31/01/1914 address 14 kilmailing road  glasgow

Good Morning,

I am researching my mother's history around 1927 to 1940.

My mother Miss Margaret Bryson worked at the Cooperative Drapery & Furnishing Society Limited, Glasgow Cross Warehouse for 9 years within this time frame.

She also worked at MacNabs Complete House Furnishers 88 Union Street Glasgow in 1938. I would like to know the dates she started and finished working at MacNabs and Co-op Drapery & Furnishing?

I am also looking for any information about 18 Monteith Row Glasgow in 1937. Are there any records of who occupied that address in 1937? I have read it was a Private Nursing Home? Is there any way of getting records of who was at that address in June 1937.

I am seeking information about the adoption process in 1937. i.e. what was the usual process for adopting out a child who was born out of wedlock. Was there an agency you went through or was the arrangement usually made through the place of birth? Was it common to adopt out to someone you knew personally? and was that legally accepted at that time?

Are there any public records where I could find this information?

I would greatly appreciate any information relating to my mother Miss Margaret Bryson from this time including Employee Lists particularly from Co-op Drapery & Furnishing Society, Glasgow Cross around the time 1935-1937.

All information about my mother would help with my family history search from Australia.

Thank you in anticipation.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Monteith row Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Details on procedures and laws on adoption in Scotland can be found here www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/adoption-records

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
In terms of who was living at 18 Monteith Row c. 1937, the best source of info is the Valuation Rolls (see here for a brief description www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/valuation-rolls 

Scotlands People is slowing adding these online as part of their databases for Scottish records. They currently have 1935 available online that you can check.  Other years would require a personal lookup at a main reference library in Glasgow for example.

There is also the option of checking the Post Office Directories. There are new ones being added. This link takes you to the lastest releases. You can view Glasgow ones up to the 1940s. A bit of a jumble sadly, just scroll down until you spot them...  You can search for surnames or just addresses.

This is the 1936-37 page for Monteith Row https://archive.org/stream/postofficeann193637glas#page/1070/mode/2up 

1937-38 https://archive.org/stream/postofficeann193738glas#page/1096/mode/2up

Main link to all here http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Ascottishdirectories&sort=-publicdate

18 Monteith Row, like most on the street at that time, was multi-occupancy as you can see on the PO Directories. Same shows on the 1935 Valuation Rolls.

Not sure on the year, but this is Monteith Row here www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/j124211703?sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=j124211703
Also www.streapadair.com/History/Glasgow-east/i-dSd4wPS and www.streapadair.com/History/Glasgow-east/i-k7qL26t

My father lived as a child at 30 Monteith Row which is why I have some info on it...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Regarding archives and records on employees, I would if you start by making enquires here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a?_ref=243

Monica

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
The 1936/37Directory has 3 linked entries for 18 Monteith Row in the main body - but they refer to industrial Ink manufacturers and a Sales Agent for the company.

The listed occupants in 1936/37 were:
Wm Dunn
G Phillips - (listed as a solicitor the following year)
E Finnegan
T Webster & Co
E Waterbury   ... the last two are the industrial links referred to.

The 1937/38 Directory has only one entry for 18 Monteith Row in the main body - a Solicitors Office.

The listed occupants are given as

G Phillips - the solicitor
T Webster & Co
E Waterbury   ... the last two are the industrial links referred to.

Given the multiple occupancy it is likely that this was a tenement building with other unlisted occupants but there is no listing for a nursing home. (the directories each have over 60 premises listed as nursing homes but none in this area)

One year on (38/39 Directory) the only name associated with 18 Monteith Row is given as E Mullen.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The corner building marked "Hotel!" is still there!

Skoosh.

Offline Johnwardrop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 January 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank  you so much, this is terrific  can't thank you enough  for  the information. Going to have a busy weekend

John

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 June 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
John, it has been a few years since you posted this request. Hope your email is still the same and you get a note of this info (you may have it all by now of course  ;)).

someone else has been asking similar questions re 18 Monteith Row. Finally found some concrete details on the activities of the nursing and adoption set up there. www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=849660.0 I can send you the complete article if you would like to see the rest  :)

Monica