Author Topic: Workhouses  (Read 979 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Workhouses
« on: Friday 26 January 18 00:55 GMT (UK) »

Today I recieved the death certificate for my great x 2 grandad,William Gunning.He died in 1898 in Newtownards Workhouse.I've spent the last 3 hours looking for the records for the workhouse but I've just gone round and round in circles. I was told that PRONI has them but I couldn't find them and the same with other Irish sites I tried.
  Please can someone tell if I can see them and if so,where? I'd like to know why he had to go there when he had at least 1 son in Ards,also a daughter and a brother and sister.I'd also like to know how long he was in there before he died.He was a boot and shoe maker,according to Griffith's land records,William rented an expensive house in Conlig,I wonder what happened to that?
  Any help,much appreciated.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouses
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 18 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Proni do have the records but I don't think you will find them online due to privacy rules
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/13.%20%20Poor%20Law.pdf

Why not get in touch with them and explain what you are looking for?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 18 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Died 1897?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05868/4663691.pdf
If this is the correct one he probably went to the workhouse hospital because he was senile for quite some time before he died and they were unable to care for him at home.
Dying in the workhouse does not necessarily mean poverty just working class making use of the hospital there. Medical care would have been expensive.
You'll need someone else to tell you how to find the records on PRONI

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 18 03:22 GMT (UK) »
The workhouse records at PRONI are not on-line. You need to go in person to look them up (or pay someone else to do that for you). The records for admissions within the past 100 years are closed but that shouldn’t be an issue for someone who died in 1897.

Don’t expect too much from the admission records. It’s fairly basic information. The format varies slightly according to when the records were compiled but, in 1904 for example, you could expect to see:

1.   Admission number
2.   Date of admission
3.   If previously relieved, reference to last register number
4.   Name of Inmate
5.   Residence previous to admission
6.   Sex
7.   Age
8.   If adult, whether single, widower or widow; if child whether orphan, deserted, legitimate or illegitimate
9.   Employment or calling
10.   Religious denomination
11.   Whether disabled and description of disability
12.   Name of spouse
13.   Number of children (which appears to be the number of dependent children, as opposed to the total number of children the person has ever had).
14.   Observations of inmate when admitted eg “Casual & clean” or “To the infirmary”
15.   Date of discharge or death

As Sinann has said, people often went to the workhouse because it had a free hospital. The National Health system of state care only got going in 1948 (and in part replaced the workhouse system). Prior to that you usually had to pay. But you didn’t need to pay for the infirmary attached to the workhouse.

According to this link, the admission records for the 1890s for Newtownards workhouse don’t appear to exist any more:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Newtownards/
Elwyn

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for the replies.Going to the workhouse hospital makes a lot of sense as he was suffering from "senile decay". I tried to look at the admissions for 1897,it worked the 1st time I tried but since the link just goes to Irish Geneaology.I'll keep trying

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
The link I posted is to Irish Genealogy, to his death cert.