Author Topic: Why move to Coventry?  (Read 2159 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Why move to Coventry?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.

Would a millwright have been needed for a canal?

My current person of interest Stephen 1763-1840 was supposedly born in Emley but was married in Coventry in 1787.

He was later named in the father column on a marriage cert as a Millwright.

But at some point the family 'got into' ribbon weaving in a fairly propserous way.

I've been thinking about the Industrial Revolution but they could have gone anywhere in Yorkshire or Lancashire to take up factory jobs, why travel to Warwickshire?

I was chatting to the History Centre this morning and Coventry is known currently as being a phoenix, but it has always risen to the challenges, ribbon weaving, then watchmaking and later bicycles and cars.

Hi Dawn

I have a transcribed copy of the Coventry Apprentice Register 1781 to 1806 (by the Dugdale Society), saw it at a Sale and thought that might come in useful one day, for somebody, I don't know who, but I ought to buy it.

No.
1938 Hammerton, John, nephew of Stephen Hammerton of Coventry, millwright: to his uncle: 14 Feb 1803: 207v.

No.
1939 HAMMERTON, John, s. of Stephen of Coventry, millwright: to his father: 5 Jan 1802: 197r.

No.
1940 HAMMERTON, Stephen, s. of Stephen of Coventry, millwright: to Thomas Cope of Coventry, silkman: 31 May 1805: 242v.

Looks like one of them became apprenticed to Thomas Cope of Coventry, Silkman, 1805.

Coventry and Stockingford (part of Eatun / Eaton / Etan / Eton) renamed Galley Common Stockingford (renamed circa 16th Century) were known historically for Silk Weaving.

The farms of Lord Paget (one of the Lords of the Manor at Stockingford) in 1746, off what is now known as Plough Hill Road, Galley Common (formerly Medieval Stockingford where Iron Age finds have been found) and the Moated Farmhouse "Blackhams Hall" and renamed Poplar Tree Farm (19th Cent) demolished, had "Hemp Yards" and rope making was also carried out too.

Sounds like the Hammertons were Millwrights (perhaps family already at Coventry?), who diversified into Silk weaving.

Document mentioning Thomas Cope of Coventry, Silkman.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/76656852-a568-4b21-97bd-7513b5751404

Of course Cash's of Coventry (Independents and Quakers- John Cash 1822-1880 and Joseph Cash 1826-1880) were Weavers and Embroiderers too.

There should be an Embroiderers Guild, somewhere, too?

Mark

ADDED: Regarding Coventry Archives, I was told their opening days and times were drastically cut, so check before going. Also, if you know the documents, ALL documents required advance ordering.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Another apprenticeship, in February 1796: William J Watson to Stephen Hammerton, millwright, City of Coventry
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Gibel & youngtug, sorry for not replying, I seem to have overlooked the notifications  :-\

I am trying to piece together the Hammerton families in the Yorkshire villages to see if there are any more obvious links.

I had a quick look at the Borthwick catalogue but didn't see many candidates for the time frame.

Mark

Thank you so much for your continued interest in this topic, your find is amazing and certainly helps clarify some of the names and relationships.

I think we all might be a little guilty of buying a random item, not knowing when it will come in useful.

Over the last few days we have found out that Stephen the millwright worked for the Leigh family at Stoneleigh.

We also have an address for him, Naul's Mill, from a poll book.

Yes, Stephen the son of Stephen was heavily involved in the ribbon industry, he turns up in all sorts of records - at Coventry Archives, and newspapers. We are researching the son John's line.

I found one reference to the apprentices (1796) on either FindMyPast or Ancestry, can't remember which, but I'll go back again and see if I can find the others.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Also

No.
4490 WARD, William, bound by Holy Trinity, Coventry Overseers: to Stephen Hammerton of Coventry, millwright: 2 Aug 1790: 76v.

Mark

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what that means?

Was the young William Ward an orphan or parish pauper that needed gainful employment and Stephen took him on?

Chandler-Chelsea

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Dawn

While posting, ShaunJ has found one from another source.

-----------

Leigh of Stoneleigh
Some of their records are at the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Archives at Stratford upon Avon. They even have individual receipt vouchers of 1740!

Under DR 18, but check their Catalogue.

They have a wonderful collection
http://collections.shakespeare.org.uk/search/archive/view_as/grid/search/everywhere:leigh-of-stoneleigh-54813

Warwickshire County Record Office may have stuff, but they were behind with indexing and whole collections relating to Nuneaton are covered by single pages in their paper indexes, which simply say Nuneaton and an accession number.

Check opening times before going to Warwick C.R.O. Archives too.

Mark

Sounds like the Holy Trinity Coventry Overseers have placed Ward with Hammerton.

Holy Trinity being a church.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
We have already written to the Shakespeare Trust earlier this week asking if they can copy the 4 receipts in their collection, if not transcribe them. Don't know what their copying policy is or if the documents are too fragile to do anything with.

Hopefully the receipts may confirm his address or provide us with another.

Fingers crossed.

Chandler-Chelsea

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
If the Hammertons lived in Tithable property, they should appear in a Tithe Apportionment Schedule Owners / Occupiers, provided they are not sub-letting from the main Tenant.

http://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/warwickshire-county-record-office/county-record-office-resources-and-catalogues/county-record-office-tithe-maps-database/

WCRO and Volunteers have transcribed the Warwickshire Tithe Apportionment Schedules, which was Free on their online website. The Maps are not online.

Hopefully, Stoneleigh (like Nuneaton Parish) has an 1840s Tithe Map and Tithe Apportionment Schedule?

Tithable Fields are the old fields and if like ours, many fields were hedged well before 1690 with some well before 1500, with Medieval Ridge & Furrow.

Bear in mind, if you are London based, most English Tithe Map and Schedule copies are in TNA, Kew, too.

Mark

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 February 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I can't believe how far this thread has taken your research dawnsh.

Then when I read the actual detail of the apprenticeships I'm quivering with excitement for you.

No.
1938 Hammerton, John, nephew of Stephen Hammerton of Coventry, millwright: to his uncle: 14 Feb 1803: 207v.

No.
1939 HAMMERTON, John, s. of Stephen of Coventry, millwright: to his father: 5 Jan 1802: 197r.

I'm pretty sure I've got the same familial apprentice relationships with my 1776-1861 ancestor who moved across several Scottish counties to work but in those days family apprenticeships weren't registered.

Best Wishes,
Rena
 -
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke