Author Topic: Why move to Coventry?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why move to Coventry?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 February 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm grateful to the contributors but suspect that my topic really now should be on the Warwickshire board as there is little to verify the link to Yorkshire at this time.

I did look at the Tithe database but if I'm reading the 3 results correctly, it's the correct family name but out of the time frame, 1840's 1850's.

Yes Rena, this is one of the joys of Rootschat, you find people on the county boards who have so much knowledge tucked away that they then have the opportunity to share.

Warwickshire and Yorkshire are well away from my London/Middlesex/Surrey/Essex comfort zones.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 February 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
We are talking of 1760-1790, the beginning of the industrial revolution.
A quote from Sir William Fairbairn,
...  [T]he millwright of the last century was an itinerant engineer and mechanic of high
reputation.  He could handle the axe, the hammer, and the plane with equal skill and
precision; he could turn, bore or forge with the ease and despatch of one brought up to
these trades; and he could set out and cut in the furrows of a millstone with an
accuracy equal or superior to that of the miller himself...  Generally, he was a fair
arithmetician, knew something of geometry, levelling, and mensuration, and in some
cases possessed a very competent knowledge of practical mathematics.  He could
calculate the velocities, strength, and power of machines, could draw in plan and
section, and could construct buildings, conduits, or water-courses, in all the forms and
under all the conditions required in his professional practice:  he could build bridges,
cut canals, and perform a variety of work now done by civil engineers (Fairbairn,
1861/3).
Of course, nowadays a millwright is an highly skilled engineer who maintains machinery amongst other duties.

2017 In better weather, spring and summer, I traveled through Emley village & country side by bus & car on my way to Wakefield a lot, all that is there is Y junction at the village centre, a church, a few rows of old houses on the main roads, a small 1960's built private housing estate and old people residence.  The rest is farms and fields. So I can't imaging the need for a Millwright in Emley parish or village -18th century or even today as there is no industry in Emley what so ever - A need for a blacksmith/farrier - yes ! 18th century

Dobfarm  :)
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking of the millwright being in the Coventry area, although being born in Emley. I had a look and Emley is about 100 miles away, I did find this though;
  Mining had an important role but before coal mining began, iron ore was discovered around Bentley Grange which led to the establishment of iron ore mines and a forge by the monks of Byland Abbey under a licence granted by Sir William Fitzwilliam (the first lord of the manor to adopt the name Fitzwilliam) in 1217 and another endorsed by his son Sir Thomas Fitzwilliam in 1237. Grange, a name associated with many buildings in and around Emley including Bentley Grange, is a reference to Byland Abbey's outlying monastic farming estate, typically where sheep were kept.[16] The remains of bell pits around Bentley Grange, a scheduled monument, are medieval workings from when iron ore was mined from the Tankersley seam.[17]

The steep scarp slope overlooking the Dearne Valley south of the village contains the remains of day holes, medieval mines where coal was dug for iron forging.[18] "Cole mynes" at Emley Woodhouse were operating in 1597 and possibly from shallow shafts on Emley Moor in the 17th century. The Jagger family were the owners of Emley Moor Colliery in 1821 when winding was done by a horse gin.[19]
Although farming was the main industry in Emley, by the 19th century rich coal deposits had made coal mining an important industry along with the more traditional weaving. Mining was a source of employment until 1985 when Emley Moor Colliery closed after the year-long miners' strike. The site is now a business park.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 February 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Coal mining engineer come Millwright ( or visa versa) - that could be a reason to uproot to move to pastures new ?
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
but if the baptism in 1763 in Yorkshire is correct and he was married in Coventry in 1787 (aged 24), issuing invoices to the Leigh family in 1796 and taking on an apprentice (aged 33), he had established himself as a millwright of some reputation in a very short amount of time.

I know these things can take years to corroborate/verify/prove.

I'm grateful you are still showing a lot of interest.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I've just been looking at the parish registers for 1754 for Mirfield, there are baptisms for children of mill-wrights. Unusual for the registers of those dates to include the occupations.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 February 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
The Mirfield registers also include christening entries for the children of Moravian Brethren.

Chandler-Chelsea