Author Topic: 2 Levi Taylor's baptised the same day In Redbourn !!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2 Levi Taylor's baptised the same day In Redbourn !!
« on: Friday 26 January 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could somebody please help who has good eyesight. I have been looking for my ancestor Levi Taylor for nearly 20 years and thought I had found him in the Redbourn parish which is close to St Albans where he married Elizabeth Dimsey in 1790.

The problem that I have is that there are 2 entries on the same day 2nd September 1762 in the Redbourn transcripts on Find My Past. There is an image by both entries, but my eyes are not good enough to discern if a mistake has been made in the transcription. One entry shows parents John and Elizabeth, the second shows parents Joseph and Ann.

I cannot believe that 2 sets of parents both baptised their sons Levi Taylor in a small village church

Please can anyone with good eyesjight solve my problems.

Many thanks

David

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Levi Taylor's baptised the same day In Redbourn !!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
The image definitely shows 2 baptisms for Levi Taylor on 2 September 1764, one with parents Joseph and Ann and the other with parents John and Elizabeth. The entries are one after the other so if the vicar has made a mistake with the name I'm not sure how you would work out which one was correct.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
These boys could possibly be cousins, one being the son of John and the other the son of Joseph, who could be brothers, and whose father may well have been a Levi

They might've decided to join forces and have their boys baptised together, a nice family occasion.

Maybe look for a birth for the unknown Levi?? or a marriage which could confirm (or otherwise) his parents.

Are you able to post a copy of the FindMyPast images and transcription please?   Be great if you could!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes PRs and BTs differ, would it be possible for you/someone on your behalf to check whichever one isn't on FindMyPast?  Assuming both exist of course.  If both the same, or no means of checking, are you able to kill one off before adulthood?  I'd say the parish looks good in terms of its proximity to St Albans and one of the boys probably is yours, but you may never know with certainty which.  Probably too many generations back for dna to be helpful.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline avidt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have now analysed all the births in the time frame and found that Joseph and Ann married in 1738 an had 12 children, the second being John in 1740. I have analysed the marriages and think that this John married Elizabeth and that they were the parents of Levi in September.

It is also noticeable that Joseph and Ann had their 11th child in 1760 and then a 4 year gap to Levi and I wonder if they were in fact godparents to their grandson Levi.

My reasoning is that I have failed to find a Burial or a wedding for a second Levi in any of the surrounding areas, si if he was born, where dide he go. Secondly my Levi who married twice had 6 children

Charlotte
Maria
John
Levi
Elizabeth
William

Note 2 children named after his parents, no children named after Joseph and Ann. Levi Junior names one of his sons Joseph maybe after his grandfather and that Joseph named one of his sons Joseph9 my great uncle).

Could anyone give me their opinion on my conclusions please !

Kind Regards

David

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
I had a choice of two Elizas with a common surname, same time period too, and decided based on sibling names the same as you.  No idea if I'm right!

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON