Author Topic: Old photo of Uncle Jack Derwin  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Old photo of Uncle Jack Derwin
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
 I wonder what his medal was for?   :)    Do you happen to know?

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
BW and color one

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Are the initials on his hat CBS? Something Boy Scout?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking something Boys School - not a scout uniform  -  I don't think!!

loord74 - you have his medal nice and clear.  I couldn't get it.

Wiggy   :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 January 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
 That photo would have been at time of Jack's Confirmation in the Roman Catholic Church. The badge would be part of the school cap of James Street Christian Brothers School here in Dublin. Back then children at 7 years made their First Communion and at 11/12 their Confirmation, at each event they would wear a medal.

Jack is a twin to my mother who were born in Liverpool in 1916 and 10 January 1917 both were baptised in a Protestant church. They were baptised again in August 1920 by their !adoptive" parents into the Roman Catholic Church. Both baptisms here in Dublin. Myself and brothers went to same school.

Certain a lot of Rootschat members would enjoy the story of my 23 year long saga in finding the parents of the twins. That sage only ended in 2017, thanks to DNA test.

Loving the efforts at improving the photos and full of genuine appreciation. Pat

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 01:31 GMT (UK) »
My try.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Would I be greedy if I asked to have a couple more photos improved ? One is a mystery family photo I taken by a street photographer probably in 1930's Dublin or even earlier. Actually a date would be a help in identifying the elderly couple. Also, can I ask how a photo I cropped of myself from a group can be enlarged. I am one of 9 siblings that survived birth and for years I laid it on heavy I must have been so ugly as a child I was the only one nobody took a photo of. Amazingly on a Facebook group 3/4 years ago the school class photo appeared. One of those moments when Facebook and social media proved its worth. Actually Facebook came good again about an hour ago when a photo appeared of a hospital and its grounds that the family home overlooked. that too could be improved. Heavens, I could keep folk here busy ! Am retiring soon so will have time to learn a few editing skills.

If I am stepping outside rules or being a bit greedy please do not hesitate to tell me to go away. Pat

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
No problem at all, Pat. Just start a new thread for each photo so that you have a better chance of getting more restores for each one. And for the same reason, if there are a lot of photos coming in, it's probably a good idea to limit yours to a couple a week. But we do need to feed our addiction. So keep them coming please.  ;D
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Would I be greedy if I asked to have a couple more photos improved ? One is a mystery family photo I taken by a street photographer probably in 1930's Dublin or even earlier. Actually a date would be a help in identifying the elderly couple. Also, can I ask how a photo I cropped of myself from a group can be enlarged. I am one of 9 siblings that survived birth and for years I laid it on heavy I must have been so ugly as a child I was the only one nobody took a photo of. Amazingly on a Facebook group 3/4 years ago the school class photo appeared. One of those moments when Facebook and social media proved its worth. Actually Facebook came good again about an hour ago when a photo appeared of a hospital and its grounds that the family home overlooked. that too could be improved. Heavens, I could keep folk here busy ! Am retiring soon so will have time to learn a few editing skills.

If I am stepping outside rules or being a bit greedy please do not hesitate to tell me to go away. Pat

There is no limit to how many photos you can post here but as Peter said....post a couple and when you have recieved the restores, post another couple but bear in mind that photos of living people are not allowed. Be as greedy as you want  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU